Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Replacing Splits with Ducted AC?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I’ve recently moved house coming from a ducted AC house to the new place having 3 x fairly old splits. Just wanted to get thoughts from others if they have replaced splits with a ducted system. The main area 8kw split looks to be on its last legs so I’m considering just getting rid of all the splits in place of a ducted unit.

I’m thinking that the efficiency of the ducted unit will offset some of the costs in the long run of running the old splits. Unsure about how much wall patch work is required though. Is it fairly common to replace a split with ducted? Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks
My opinion - splits are more efficient. The main reason is that with ducted there are heat/cooling losses from the ducts which goes straight into the ceiling cavity - lowering the efficiency of the delivered heating or cooling to the living areas. New splits should be more efficient than the older splits. Replacing with splits means you can stage the installation. If the other splits aren't failing then you can delay replacement. Splits are better for zoning so you only need to heat/cool the area in the house that you are using - lowering running costs.

If the new place is old please consider increasing the efficiency of the building envelope by sealing gaps, good window coverings, ceiling and other insulation and controlling solar gains through the windows.
Agree with Bruce, great post! All things being equal, splits are more energy efficient than a ducted system. If you don't like the appearance of most wall mounted splits, there are other options, like ceiling mounted cassettes, or bulkhead units.
Ok I’m not too worried about ongoing costs as I’d be ok paying a bit extra for better quality and quieter ducted AC. I’d likely look to get solar down the track to offset energy as well. There is another room that doesn’t have a split installed so we would need to get one for that room down the track. Also not a fan of the backyard having all these condenser units for each split so I think I would want to go down the ducted path.

So efficiency aside, I’m just wanting some general advice on installation costs and considerations. Has anyone removed a split and repaired the wall?

My estimate is:

Ducted AC install = Approx $7k (based off my last install quote)
Split removal cost= $500 each?
Wall repair/painting = $1k?
Fair enough - your choice. Sorry I can't help you with the cost of the install.
I will just say this in passing - for splits if your only issue is multiple compressor units you can get a multihead split unit. That comprises one compressor unit and multiple wall units (or floor or ceiling units). Might need two compressors for a larger house with a larger number of indoor units - ask an installer..
Good luck.
Related
26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

20/10/2023
Replacing masonite in an old home with a fair bit of soil mo

General Discussion

Hi, we live in an area where the black soil is prone to a lot of movement. We have an old 50's house with masonite everywhere and nails popping out, warping, rusted etc.…

11/12/2023
Replacing wall insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on installing/replacing wall insulation on an external wall which doesn't have wrap, our miners cottage being constructed…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum