Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Radius for AC gas piping

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We had an air conditioner installed in our roof, and they installed it on a platform we'd built for roof storage!

My question: these guys have run the AC gas lines in a huge turn radius. I understand that you don't want sharp turns in pipes carying fluids (gas/water), but this seems to be a bit ridiculous.

I would've expected that a radius of 30cm or so would be fine.

Is there a rule of thumb used in the air conditioning industry?

Cheers + thanks.

Oztme
Wow that's poor, you sure it wasn't an apprentice doing the pipe run or someone who doesn't understand how to work pipe? Personally I prefer the indoor units suspended but not everyone agrees with that sentiment.

We generally work off a bend radius of 2.5 - 3 times the diameter of the pipe as a rough guide. If the pipe run is not excessively long, they could have pulled the bends with pipe benders to get clean smaller diameter bends.
Thanks for the comment. I thought the radius was bizarre.

Is it mandatory to have that drip tray underneath the unit too? I've never seen that before. It's a 6 year old unit (being reinstalled now that the house renovation's nearly done, didn't have drip tray before). They already ran the drain line.

Are those drip trays mandatory/good idea? Takes up a lot of space...

Thanks.
Not sure if safety trays are mandatory by plumbing regs but it's generally seen as good practise to install them so that if your main unit drain was to ever block up, it'll save the water damage before you realized you had a blocked drain. They're used extensively in commercial. No reason why the indoor unit couldn't be suspended up and the safety tray suspended under the unit.
Bels
Wow that's poor, you sure it wasn't an apprentice doing the pipe run or someone who doesn't understand how to work pipe? Personally I prefer the indoor units suspended but not everyone agrees with that sentiment.

We generally work off a bend radius of 2.5 - 3 times the diameter of the pipe as a rough guide. If the pipe run is not excessively long, they could have pulled the bends with pipe benders to get clean smaller diameter bends.

No, it wasn't the apprentice: it was a guy who told me he had 30 year's experience..

It was installed by a well known company in Victoria. The whole experience has been a complete train wreck and just unbelievable.

It has been a year to the day since I bought these units, and I still don't have properly installed air conditioning.

A key warning sign I didn't know about, is any company who demands 75% up front payment should be avoided: they have no incentive to complete the work as they have the bulk of your money,

We had a building inspector who noticed that they hadn't installed any filters in the ducted air conditioners. Just surreal...

I'll post some links/photos here later. Thanks for your help.
Hi, firstly I would edit your post and remove the business' name as it could lead to you receiving legal action for defamation.

I'll reply when I'm on my pc with some avenues to move forward on your issue
Bels
Hi, firstly I would edit your post and remove the business' name as it could lead to you receiving legal action for defamation.

I'll reply when I'm on my pc with some avenues to move forward on your issue

Done. thanks mate.
Firstly, start documenting everything including a timeline of events.

See here https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consu ... guarantees
This outlines your rights and where you stand. When purchasing goods or services, it should function as expected.

What I would be doing is sending written request to the business requesting they complete the works in a timely manner to a professional standard which is what you paid for.

If you need assistance you could also try consumer affairs victoria.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/

You could have the installation inspected by another air conditioning company and go back to the installing company with the report of defects which they are required to fix or remedy. You may be out of pocket on this.

Contact the VBA and request a plumbing inspector inspect and audit the installation. They would be able to issue a notice to the installing company to come back and make good in a timely manner anything of substandard quality. You can voice your concerns with the inspector about the pipe run and even how the indoor unit is situated and the inspector can advise if it's in breach of any plumbing regulations or not.

You can call them on 1300 815 127 or lodge an enquiry through their website here http://www.vba.vic.gov.au/about/contact-us

If you cannot get the installing company to finish the installation, maybe look into engaging another company to finish and pass the costs on to the installing company through VCAT. Maybe seek legal advice from a lawyer versed in consumer law but if an installation took over 12 months and is still not finished then it's not going to look too favorable to the installing company.

hth

Edit: I'd suggest holding off posting anything to youtube, etc in case it has to go legal.
Related
6/09/2023
building a deck and gas hot water

General Discussion

I want to build a decking to the drawn shape outlined in black. The problem is how close can I build to the gas hot water unit? Will I be able to build around it and be…

20/12/2023
Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case…

9/04/2024
Gas abolishment home renovation

Owner Builder Forum

We are about to partially demo our house to begin a major renovation… by partial it almost may as well be a new build (keeping front for heritage) This will require the…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum