Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Evaporative cooling

Page 1 of 1
Does Anyone have Evaporative cooling at their home?? I have thinking of getting one for my new home. please share your experiences.
I've owned investment properties with them and stayed in rental houses with them in the past.

No more!

Reverse cycle is the way to go these days,,,, real cooling + very efficient heating
I have it as we did want it, and we negotiated to have it included in our house price. We had evap in our last house, and also one of the rentals we were in whilst building.
I will admit it isn't as good as air con but it does cool a house, at least a bit, on a warm/hot day. Having said that it is not great during humid weather.
I actually really like the option of just having the fan on and blowing fresh air through the house too.
I had it on yesterday and the house went from 24/25 degrees to 20 degrees over a period of a few hours (it was about 29 outside)
I would prefer air con but a ducted system was too pricey for us when building (especially with the other upgrade costs). We are going to see how we go with the evap over this Summer (first Summer in the house) before deciding if we want a split system in our main living area or not.
I think if we lived in a warmer state I might have invested in ducted air con but when you only need it for 2/3 months a year it didn't seem worth it.
Just my two cents.
Thanks Bash and Tash:lol:

We have actually included Evaporative cooling from our promotional items. and hoping we wont regret it.
Our house is comparatively small (total land 295 m Sq).
I’m also hoping I don’t regret the evap.. I don’t like the heat to much and I’m worried about the sticky feeling you get from some evap cooling systems. Although my other half has convinced me they are much better these days.

nikil
I’m also hoping I don’t regret the evap.. I don’t like the heat to much and I’m worried about the sticky feeling you get from some evap cooling systems. Although my other half has convinced me they are much better these days.

Not really sure they are better these days. It's just air mixed with water as it always has been.

It can work well if you experience dry heat. If you have humid summers, then it's going to make it more humid.

nikil

Not really sure they are better these days. It's just air mixed with water as it always has been.

It can work well if you experience dry heat. If you have humid summers, then it's going to make it more humid.

I was investigating it and asked a friend of mine who has it. His words...."It's great most of the time, except when it gets really hot - then it is not effective"
I have been hearing from most ppl that its mot effective on humid days.

Thankfully, Melbourne have only few humid day every year. At least, We are sorted for rest of the hot days..

*fingers crossed *
Try for the upgrade to your heater that will allow for an addon air con unit installed after build. It'll be a better long term option, than evap.
bini
I have been hearing from most ppl that its mot effective on humid days.

Thankfully, Melbourne have only few humid day every year. At least, We are sorted for rest of the hot days..

*fingers crossed *

My friend said that his keeps his house nice and cool though most of summer, but doesn't cope with Melbourne's 40 degree days (which is is my opinion when you most need it!)
I agree that is definitely when you need it most. Look like we might be adding a split system too..

I think it depends where you live - you need good airlflow/breeze through the house for it to be effective.

We had it in a unit that was on the beach - was great because we had constant sea breeze.

When looking at having it installed in future homes we were told not to bother due to the level of humidity in a Melbourne summer.
The evaporative cooling effect only works well in dry air, therefore any humid areas i.e the coastal fringe are not ideal. It is why evap units are found west of the dividing range in NSW but not on the coast.
Related
26/05/2024
Electric ducted reverse cycle (heating & cooling)-all zones?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi All, Our current 16 year old ducted gas heating is broken and needs an urgent replacement and appreciate any advise from the industry experts to make a decision for…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum