Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

West facing Master bedroom in Brisbane

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I've read quite a few threads here re to this topic and I understand that having a bedroom facing West is already challanging in Melbourne so I'm wondering if such a setup in Brisbane is doable? I could swap Rumpus and Master bedroom so Rumpus acts as a buffer but this will cost some money.

Thanks
Hi we had a lounge room that was west facing and it was horrible! I had to make a shade cloth blind to hang down from the fascia board to help block the sun and heat, there was a 1.5 mt verandah as well and we fried in there. If you are building a room that is west facing see what extra insulation foil whatever you can get in there to try and stop the heat. We also had two windows on that side, could have fried an egg on them in summer! there was also a hedge of some green stuff, about a meter high along the length of the verandah but nothing seemed to help.
Good luck!
Having a reflective film (not a tint) on the windows makes a HUGE difference to the amount of heat that gets in.
It worked well for our bedroom windows in Melbourne (in the middle of summer not much cooler than Brisbane, and because of daylight saving in Melbourne we go to bed an hour closer to sunset. . . so less time for the room to cool down)

There are some more thoughts at this link:
http://anewhouse.com.au/2012/02/shading ... g-windows/
We face similar issues here in Arizona where the desert sun is blazing especially during the summer. So what we do is install white mini-blinds or shutters on the east and west sides, where the morning and late afternoon sun penetrate deeply into houses and keep them closed when the sun is hitting the glass. Doing this reduces solar gain by 40% to 50%.
A key difference is that in mid-summer, the sun sets at 8:45 in Melbourne, but in Brisbane it's 6:45. That gives an extra 2 hours for the room to cool down before sleeping. It'd still be better to have it facing a different direction, but there are always compromises in building.
Thanks for all the great answers!

@oneJone, this is true, but another difference between Mel abd Bri is that during summar the nights are still pretty warm.
Related
6/12/2023
Skylight facing west, sufficient light in mornings?

General Discussion

It might be a bit darker in the mornings but the light is still light, so you should be getting it. Similar to what you see from your western windows

30/08/2023
Builder has set mediation with Master Builders GC. Any tips

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. We definitely wish to settle and get these people out of our life. They are trying to charge us interest on late…

12/12/2023
Rumpus conversion to a master with ensuite

Renovation + Home Improvement

From the information posted it looks to me your rumpus room is nothing more than extended garage. That will present a number of challenges. Single brick wall between…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum