Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Winter sun directly entering hallway or adjoining bedrooms?

Page 1 of 1
I am playing around with a design for our new build which is on a large block in WA. I am lucky as I am not restricted to any aspect. Hoping to achieve some good use of the winter sun. Looking to start a post about it but have an initial query.

It is a long house design facing north. Living areas to the western end (where the view is) and three bedrooms to the east.

One idea for the eastern end of the house is to capture winter sun directly onto a long 1.5m wide hallway (that runs east - west) through windows which face north. The hall will have concrete or tiled floors and possibly rammed earth walls. The sun in winter will hit the floor and wall. Adjoining the hall on its southern side will be the bedrooms. It is hoped that the heat trapped in the hallway material will keep a more stable temperature and seep some warmth into the bedrooms.

Another idea is to swap this around. Place the bedrooms on the north side with their windows allowing sunlight to enter in winter. The hall would then be on the south. I envisage that there would be less material of high thermal mass in the bedrooms than the hall. There is also the fact that the light may affect late risers (but this can be overcome). But the house allows more flexibility in its design this way.

I apologise for lack of detail or images. But can anyone comment or have any initial thoughts on this? I'm concerned with how it will work in the real world. Is one better than the other in regard to winter warmth?

Thanks
You should aim to get some northern light into living rooms as a priority. And wide enough eaves to block the sun in summer!

Of the two choices, I suggest getting sunlight into the hall, as this area is likely to get more use in the daytime.

Wonder how you are going ensure the western rooms don't get too hot?

You are lucky you can site the house any way.
Hi Joynz

Yes I do have lots of light coming into the living areas. The western view is an issue with the summer arvo sun but will have the alfresco that end.

You are right in that the passage way will get more use in the day, good point. I don't mind a cool bedroom in winter when you sleep but it would be nice to have the rooms a little warmer when you get into bed. But then again, if there is not much thermal mass in the rooms to trap light, what is the point.

I'm really excited to show everyone my designs and get some critical feedback. Not sure what section to post this to though.
If you are getting a builder to build it for you then open a thread in the Building a New House section...
viewforum.php?f=31
If you are doing an OB then place it there...
viewforum.php?f=38

I assume you have read this thread on Orientation
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55057
Also another related one on passive solar design even though it is in Sydney
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=71561
There are also two good sites external to this one that have some good tips
http://www.yourhome.gov.au/
http://www.anewhouse.com.au/

Stewie
Just remember that as the sun's path is higher in the sky to north in summer than it is in winter. This also means the sun rises/sets further to the south in summer than it does in winter, when it rises north of east (rising/setting directly to the east/west at the equinoxes). The sun will NEVER be due east or west in winter, while it will still being quite a way above the horizon in summer. So sunlight falling on east/west facing glazing has a much greater negative effect in summer than it does a positive effect in winter.

So be careful designing east/west glazing for winter heating. Shading this glazing in summer must be a TOP PRIORITY, & may be quite hard to do, when the sun is low in the sky & average eaves are quite ineffective. I do like the idea of the alfresco being to the west, shading the house from hot afternoon sunlight in summer. Although the alfresco may be uncomfortably hot on some evenings in the height of summer, I feel it's a justified compromise to keep the house cool in summer (something has to face west). Also, if you are going to have west facing glazing to capture the view, consider low-e glazing on these windows, to limit solar radiation penetrating into the house. Maybe also some sliding shutters on the alfresco, to control afternoon sunshine into the alfresco/house?

......... Whoops, just read your post again. Silly old me, I'd misinterpreted your design, thinking your were using east facing glazing (for passive solar), on the eastern side of your dwelling. I see you're using north facing glazing on the eastern side of the house. Perfect! Great passive solar design!

I see you're putting your bedrooms on the eastern side of your north facing house, away from the harsh afternoon sun. Perfect. Though don't forget to take local breezes into account too. Will you get the cooling effect of the Fremantle Doctor (from the SW) where you are? I guess easterly winds off the desert can be very hot.

As for your initial question, although sitting in the sunshine on a bed in winter is nice, bedrooms to the south are fine. We generally are more comfortable sleeping in temperatures a few degrees cooler than we like in the day. South facing bedrooms should be cooler in summer (particularly if the Fremantle Doctor reaches you). As Joynz says, the hallway could use the northern lighting more. A rammed earth wall (or concrete, brick, or other high thermal mass material) is a great idea, as this wall will be close to the northern glazing, & will receive generous amounts of winter sunlight. This wall will increase the thermal mass levels in the adjoining bedrooms, & re-radiate part of the stored winter heat into them. If the wall also receives cool summer breezes in the night, it could help with house keep cool in summer. Also a wall constructed with these heavy materials should insulate the bedrooms from living area sounds travelling down the hallway.
A good way to block out summer morning and afternoon sun is to strategically plant deciduous trees and shrubs to screen the sun. That way they lose their foliage in autumn then they let the winter sun in
Related
3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

23/10/2023
Alternative to hallway?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Might cheaper to changer your idea of what makes a home, have you considered building a porch?

21/10/2023
Hallway arch - hoping to make less ugly

Interior Decorating Lounge

at most it will have a short lintel which could be moved up just below the ceiling or even above. Above means you need to patch the cornice and might need to deal with…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum