Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Under Floor Ducting Repair

Page 1 of 1
Cannot get under the house to inspect all the ducting for the heating but recently opened up the floor for another purpose where the ducting was exposed. I noticed a gash in the ducting that must have been there since day one with presumably large numbers of dollars wasted in lost heat ever since then. I am suspicious that there may be other gashes in the ducting elsewhere under the house as my heating bill seems a bit high compared to a previous house I lived in.

Is there some inspection process one can employ and should some damage be found at some remote point how might it be repaired?

Thanks

barkly
hey Barkley,

Air flow meters on the vents will tell you roughly if your losing heat, Although its hard to be accurate best thing would be visual inspection. However as you stated thats not possible.

Easy fix would be duct tape. wrap it around the gash, just be sure not to restrict the flow to the duct with it
Thanks octain,

I have been thinking of one of those inspection cameras at the end of a long extendable cable to have a look at the ducting - not sure what I might find. My problem is that the floor level is very close to ground level and also no under floor access any way. If I did see some gashes in the ducting I might then be tempted to open the floor and get at it that way. Wife is keen for a carpet replacement so would open the floor prior to a new carpet going down. Floor is yellow tongue with carpet over so not too difficult to get at it - cutting out some sections.

regards

barkly
Related
7/02/2024
How to repair buckled floating floor?

Flooring & Floor Covering

Thanks, that's the motivation I needed to give it a try sooner rather than one day!

3/10/2023
Laundry floor has recess under cupboard

Laundry

Waterproofing wet areas, including laundries is a requirement now. I don't know if it was 12 years (for a laundry) but I can't see why it would t have been. Have you got…

28/08/2023
Ceiling Repair

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Hi All, Hoping someone might be be to provide some advice on my ceiling that needs repair. Photos attached, but seems like the alcove (??) is pulling away. Thanks Thomas

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum