Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Spray foam for underfloor insulation.

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone use this type of product, just trying to work out the pros and cons.

I am wanting to insulate the underfloor sections of the house as we are on stumps, last winter we found a lot of the chill came from below, the wall and roof are done with batts,

Thanks Lou

http://www.enviroshield.com.au/Images/M ... s-home.jpg
this product look really good, any idea on pricing?
If you have ever seen a show called "this old house" on pay tv. Its a US show, where new and or renvated build take place. Normally fairly expensive at that. They have been using the spray expanding foam for a long time. They use it on walls, floors and ceilings. Especially cathedral types. Their wall thicknesses are generally 150mm studs, so the R rating would be great I would think.

Cost wise I am unsure, but insulation wise I think it would be by far the best option, as it not only insulates, but also seals any small nooks and crannies that are exposed, giving total sealing.
I agree it would do a great job for both thermal and acoustic. Cost is an unknown as is what happens if you need to get to wiring or plumbing that has been encased in it

i have also been looking at Exopol which seems pretty reasonable for under floor
I have organised to get a quote, but over the phone it was a guide price of $27 - $30 a sqm.

Cheers Lou
To get to existing wiring is not that hard. Once the bond is broken a pull wire can be used to pull up and down and is not that hard. to put a new wire or similar down the wall cavity is exactly the same. A very long bit on a drill will put a very nice round hole to drop pipe or wire down. Similar to using conduit but not quite as hard.
The thing is to make sure the value of the product dos not outweigh the cost when compared to other products.
Did you end up getting this spray on insulation? Some feedback would be great if you did
Thanks!
I got an over the phone quote from ecofoam. For 130sqm under floor it was $3850 inc gst. This however only gave an R value go 1 I was told by the sales rep. This was surprising as I bought it would be higher. For that rating and that price I'm probably going to go batts under and sheet the underside also with a soffit lining so it's all sealed.
After talking to a few tradesmen, we've decided not to use the foam and use foil board instead because if we need to get to the services for any reason it's messier to remove.
Related
2/02/2024
Patching Holes in EPS foam walls

Renovation + Home Improvement

Oh no! I would use a can of expandable foam ( there are some that will take render) then cut it back and render over the top

18/04/2024
Does concrete foam filler need to be sealed?

Building A New House

There is nothing in the various codes and standards that puts this requirement on the builder to do. I think that is what you are asking. Don't waste time trying to get…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum