Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

ducted heating cost

Page 1 of 1
hi
we are weighing up if we should go with hydronic or ducted heating. How much would i expect to pay for ducted heating for a double story with 2 zones and 12 vents? Hydronic is looking like it will cost about $15k so i want to work out how much more that will be than going with ducted.
We prefer hydronic but if there is a massixe differnce we might go ducted,

cheers,
Hey,

With our builder ducted heating was std.
We upgraded & zoned it for around 5k. This is n a 42sq dbl storey

Mel
The size of your house will vary your heating costs, I had a brief look and it seemed to be around 5K for an small to medium sized house (<26square house)
We have lived in 2 rentals/house sits since our renno started, both have ducted heating. The 1st place was terrible, the place was probably the worst built house we had ever experienced. The heating itself was very noisy and either thermonuclear in the bedrooms near the furnace, or frigid in the living spaces. Yes it was a BAD install job, but being a brivis system I would have expected better. But it wasn’t the heaters fault only. The house itself was below a 1 star standard, it was drafty had either no insulation or a couple of tissues in the walls roof and definitely nothing under the floor boards. AND was only 7 years old.

By comparison the house we are in at the moment is far more comfortable, it has the very same heater/furnace ducted to a much larger house. BUT this place has double glazing, double brick and I'm guessing loads of insulation in the roof. My only quibble is the front door could use some draft mitigation work. Oh and the system is whisper quiet when its on...the last one used to freak the cat out every time it started up.

All that said... we are going Hydronic lol

I guess my real point here is to say that whatever system you get, make sure the house doesn’t need it going 24/7. Our gas bill in that 1st place was frightening.... and we were still cold in the place. Our Hydronic system costs easily double that of a ducted one, but will cost much less to run. Long term we may break close to even but will have enjoyed the best, cleanest, quietest heating out there
I'm guessing around 5k for ducted but I'd spend the extra and go hydronic no matter what. My last three houses had ducted systems and one of them was a new PD home with the supposed 5 star energy rating. The problem I always found is that the heating only comes on for a few minutes and as soon as it turns off it's no longer warm. Heating through the ceiling makes this even worse. The heat stays up near the ceiling and the roof space was actually hot yet down on the floor it was still cold. A winter of 3 months and a 5 dollar a day heating bill and I honestly never felt warm the whole season - it really is the crapest way to heat a house.

The hyrdonic heated house I stayed in for 9 months on the other hand still only had single glazing but once the radiators warmed up it felt warm throught the whole house and the warmth is consistant and comfortable. I'd consider heating to be one of the most important aspects to a house - at least in Melbourne anyway. If I was ever building again I'd pay the extra and go hydronic - ducted heating is rubbish and should have been left back in the 80's where it belongs.
Related
26/05/2024
Electric ducted reverse cycle (heating & cooling)-all zones?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi All, Our current 16 year old ducted gas heating is broken and needs an urgent replacement and appreciate any advise from the industry experts to make a decision for…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum