Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Installing ducted after handover

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

So, call me naive, but can you install ducted air con after handover, or is it too hard?

Some installers are saying they have to go in during construction and others are saying they can do it after and now I don't know who to believe
It depends... Single or double story, are you having ducted heating also? It is much easier (and therefore cheaper) to install during the build - things are more easily accessible, the return air can be factored into the framing, same vents can run both heating and cooling if you install together, etc.

If it is a single story then getting it installed after handover is not so bad (depending on what is happening with your heating). You may want to think now about placement of the AC condensor and coils to ensure you run the required electrical connections to the right place during your electrical fit out but as long as the roof space is accessible then it should be straight forward.

Double story gets more complicated, particularly around getting vents to the bottom story. I looked at a similar scenario for my double story build. A family connection is an AC installer and he suggested in that case it was most cost effective to get ducted AC to the top story and simply put a few split systems down stairs as required.

In the end I have opted to get ducted AC done during the build - I dealt directly with the company the builder was getting to do the ducted heating so them having access wasn't an issue (as the builder was getting them onsite anyway for the heating).

Hope that helps.
If you’re building a single storey then air con can be installed after hand-over. With double storey it’s much harder and could prove more costly. I recommend installing an air-con during construction for a double storey, even if the builder charges you a little more. Also note that most major builder will not let you outsource an air-con during construction.

Cheers
Yes we're building single story, and it will be ducted reverse cycle.
Thanks for the advice!
Should be fine if it's a single story. Since its reverse cycled, I assume you won't have any ducted heating being installed with the house at build time so no need to upsize ducts.
Should be no price difference whatsoever but with 2 storey homes a rough in is required to the transition from upstairs to downstairs only. Builders fit people up (price wise) on a regular basis. Sheepdog, it is ducted R/C meaning the ducts are actually sized (or should be) correctly as opposed to gas with add-on which compromises one for the other ultimately.
Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

29/06/2023
Installing a new shower do l need a plumber

Bathrooms and Laundry

Ask yourself if the insurance company will be aware of the Reno.

6/10/2023
installing vinyl planks underlay

Flooring & Floor Covering

Hi l plan to install a self adhesive vinyl plank floor. l first need to attach masonite boards underlay to by plywood subfloor of my house. What size nails and how many…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum