Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Bonaire unit outside, LA Cool in roof = Air con not working

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

Have had MANY dramas with our reverse cycle air conditioning.

The lastest technician to come out (this was the 8th person to come out) he spends over two hours outside, then gets a ladder, hops up into the roof (first person to check the roof) then comes down to tell me that the unit will never work because its incompatible with the indoor roof unit.

Outside is a Bonaire unit and in the roof is LA Cool.

Does anyone know anything about this ? of course everyone is closed over Christmas.

The unit was installed by contractors that our builders organised and I have been dealing with them.

We paid $$$ for this air con so am wondering why there are two different brands involved as it sounds a bit weird to me, but then again I know nothing at all about air conditioning.

Hope someone can help !!
Jess,
In certain circumstances different brands can be combined with interface cards. This is rare with Japanese manufacturers as they have their electronics built to "talk" to their own units only.

Locally manufactured units or Australian brands are more likely to be able to communicate with each other with an interface card - usually one manufacturer will produce and test this but primarily in my experience these are for ducted gas heating with "add-on" refrigerated cooling.

Example: Braemar ducted gas system with an Actron Air fan coil and outdoor condensing unit. Note, even in this situation the refrigerated system is still the same brand as they have been designed (and tested) to work together

You mention a reverse cycle system (I am assuming a ducted system). Can you advise if the unit actually runs and blows air at all? If it does I would say they can be compatible (not 100% on this however) and has issues but it is uncommon in ducted reverse cycle systems to have 2 different brands connected.

Ultimately there is a 5 year parts and labour warranty on air conditioning systems (residential) and your builder and especially the installation company is responsible to ensure it works. The PIC (Plumbing Industry Commission) regulates this to help protect consumers. Have you got your compliance certificate for the air conditioning work?
Related
11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. Does this placement sound reasonable to you? Also, I plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room…

11/11/2023
Ducted air con zones

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi all, sorting out the ducted air con for a 350sqm double story house. I think i plan to have 6 zones I think. Living room (mainly for entertainment so not used often),…

16/01/2024
Ducted air con insulation question

General Discussion

Hi there I have a Panasonic ducted air con system.…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum