Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Ducting warm air around home

Page 1 of 1
Hi All, i'm building ATM & just about to put the roof on. i've had an idea that with the instalation of a large tile fire which has oven component & HW jacket for our winter, there will be sufficient heat that i could move some heat around the house to bedrooms in cold weather. i had the idea of puting several independant extraction fans in the ceiling over the tire fire area and pushing air thru ducting tubes to the bedrooms....has anyone done this type of thing - any ideas would be appreciated.
cheers tony
Few ideas here...

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... +fireplace

you may have to wade through the OT stuff...
...and how did a thread on inline fans get onto retaining walls...
Thanxs "To do list" ur experience & way round the forum is as usual invaluable - cheers tony
HI tony. when we talked to the guys at 2 wood heating places they suggested we consider doing this if we found the rest of the house wasn't warm enough. it was just having a vent+ducting system like you see for aircon. I don't remember a fan being needed though.
Hi kexkez, the reason why i'm going to use a fan, either at the point of extraction - ie on living room wall (we have a section of verticle cathederal wall) or a fan " inline" on each duct is becos hot air rises and while that air may enter the duct, it will just "sit" in the duct and in the top few inches of the room its going to. by puting a fan in, the air get pushed down into the room its going to. now i'm no kenetic engineer, but just put ur hand up to the top of the ceiling in the room ur heaters in - thats where u find the hot air.
the other component i'll have to use, regardless of ducting r 3 ceiling fans to circulate the heat out of the vertical pitch of the cathederal ceiling.
hope that gives u another perspective to this idea. imo huge amounts of heat r wasted up on the top of ceilings!
cheers tony
T&V
Hi kexkez, the reason why i'm going to use a fan, either at the point of extraction - ie on living room wall (we have a section of verticle cathederal wall) or a fan " inline" on each duct is becos hot air rises and while that air may enter the duct, it will just "sit" in the duct and in the top few inches of the room its going to. by puting a fan in, the air get pushed down into the room its going to.

Yep...that's what my mate in Sale found...he's got very high ceilings in his country house and needs the fan to operate. Nomush...just enough to move the air.
T&V
. i had the idea of puting several independant extraction fans in the ceiling over the tire fire area and pushing air thru ducting tubes to the bedrooms....has anyone done this type of thing -

Yes:

http://www.westaflex.com.au/_pdfs/venti ... _Pages.pdf

Add more ceiling fans as required to push hot air down.
Came across this the other day...
http://www.universalfans.com.au/heattransfer.htm
Hi T&V,

Just an update from that topic that Mike posted earlier. We decided against going with a heat transfer system on the advice of an independant heating adviser. I can't remember his reasoning for advising against it though...too many things to think about since then
. I think it was something to do with air movement in the room with the heater...that the air transfer system may create drafts??? Also it wasn't going to be really easy for us to install as we won't have much roof space so I think they would have had to run it in the walls, I think.

Not much help really, am I.

Good luck
Hi Tony,

Somehow I've missed this thread before now. The great minds think alike
. I'll be installing a heat shifter in our new house, to transfer warm air from the Family, with its gas log fire, to the rest of the house. It's pretty inexpensive, Ford&Doonan Aircon gave a me ballpark figure of below $1000 installed, and directed to talk to a bloke in their Kardinya branch, who designed and installed something like that before.

Chris
Related
17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

5/08/2023
Grout tile around spigot?

Paving & Concreting

Thanks splashers, that makes sense. The waterproofing guy used this Davco product, I will raise the issue with builder and hopefully get resolved with him - if not…

20/09/2023
Water around stormwater drain and concrete

Paving & Concreting

Grab a hose, insert it at the top of the inlet/down pipe and turn the water on and see where the water is escaping from. Then you'll know.

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum