Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

.6 ducting vs 1.1 ducting does it matter

Page 1 of 1
I have two quotes for my evap

One is the Brivis contour L53 installed to 8 points with .6 ducting for $3750

The other is the same model and ducts but with 1.1 triple insulated ducting but it is $4800

Is it worth the extra $$$$ to have the better ducting?
for evap cooling i would say no.

we did a little experiment here. took a 100w light bulb and put it in a r0.6 duct for a day. at the end of the day you could feel heat on the outside of the bag. we did the same thing with a r1.0 duct and you couldn't feel anything on the outside. we took temperature measurements etc but it was years ago...

so in short - the better the insulation the more heating/cooling you keep in your ducts. but evap cooling moves so much air so fast and so cheaply that it is not worth spending 1000 more
Penny I have just booked my evap cooler and most places will upgrade you at no charge. Just tell them that you want it.

$4800 sounds very expensive for that unit. You can get the breezeair for cheaper with the R1.1 ducting.
I did ask about upgrading the ducting but it was another $800.

Is $3750 a good price with the cheaper ducting?
Related
8/06/2023
Does my deck need handrails?

General Discussion

I've just built 3 stairs off a landing out the back and been told by the private certifier I need hand rails sorry tried to attach a pic but couldn't mine don't have sides…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

3/11/2023
How hot/cold does a sunroom get?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Depends how much direct sun it gets. Is there any shading (eaves or trees)? If the sun hits a window directly it doesn't matter too much if it's double or single…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum