Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Nitrogen gas left in the compressor, is it normal practice

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
Hope you can give me some advice on general installation practice of split system.
- My split system stopped pumping cold air, I logged a warranty call with manufacturer, they sent someone out to test and said it was pipe leak, that needs to be covered by installer.
- The installer replaced the pipe and re-gassed, it works for few times and would shut down within 15s after turning on.
- The company technician came out again and said the pressure was 600 PSI, and said last time he tested he left nitrogen in the compressor to prove no leak in the compressor and close the valve. When the installer re-gassed, he opened the valve without knowing there was nitrogen in the system. This caused nitrogen mixing with gas, hence increased the pressure in the system.
I now have no idea who would be responsible, the technician, who didn't tell us he left nitrogen in the system and closed the valve or the installer, who open the valve.

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
- Is it common practice to leave nitrogen in the system after testing and the valve closed? Is the technician supposed to let us and the installer know about this?
- Is it common practice that the installer open the the valve as part of the system commission as shown in the photo. If the valve was closed, would the system works as normal?

Thank you so much!

Warm regards,
Tony.

you need a fridgie to answer but I would think you vac the whole system then add gas if you have a leak, unless it is new install with the gas already loaded, in that case you vac the pipes and open the valve after.
Related
14/03/2024
Junk left behind in an old house

Old Home Restoration / Renovation

Hi, just discovered all these junks left behind under the floor. Could any of these be asbestos? Best to leave as it is or clean up? Thank you for your thoughts

29/04/2024
External wall left opened to Alfresco roof

Building A New House

First time building. this triangular part (marked in red) behind my two bedrooms does not have external wall bec of Alfreco roof…

26/07/2023
Replacing concealed guttering with normal guttering

Renovation + Home Improvement

Yes, get a builder, make sure he is experienced and a registered building practitioner

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum