Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Approprate venting for Colorbond Roof

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,
My newly built house has been terribly hot this very mild Perth summer, despite having Anticon and ceiling insulation. The house is tiled in all rooms and white external aluminium shutters on all windows stay down all day long until we get home after 6pm, so I am very surprised that so much heat is being retained.
My partner suspects the roof does not have appropriate venting - it is a huge roofspace, and has one ridge vent and two eave vents. The builder refuses to discuss the issue with me, stating they provide all clients with one ridge vent and two eave vents.
Surely builders should calculate roof space and provide appropriate ventilation? I have asked multiple times if this is calculated but have not received an answer. Am just about to talk to the Building Commission of WA but would appreciate if anyone has any insights?
Thank you, Anna
hey anna123456 Welcome to the forum
anna123456
Surely builders should calculate roof space and provide appropriate ventilation? I have asked multiple times if this is calculated but have not received an answer.

If anyone has airflow calcs then they should be in the certified energy report?

anna123456
Am just about to talk to the Building Commission of WA but would appreciate if anyone has any insights?
Thank you, Anna

Without that data you are wasting your time at the BC
BTW Proper airflow simulations cost several $000s.. bit too late now...but may help others, of course, before they sign up
anna123456
Hi there,
My newly built house has been terribly hot this very mild Perth summer, despite having Anticon and ceiling insulation. The house is tiled in all rooms and white external aluminium shutters on all windows stay down all day long until we get home after 6pm, so I am very surprised that so much heat is being retained.
My partner suspects the roof does not have appropriate venting - it is a huge roofspace, and has one ridge vent and two eave vents. The builder refuses to discuss the issue with me, stating they provide all clients with one ridge vent and two eave vents.
Surely builders should calculate roof space and provide appropriate ventilation? I have asked multiple times if this is calculated but have not received an answer. Am just about to talk to the Building Commission of WA but would appreciate if anyone has any insights?
Thank you, Anna

If it's you typical WA builder job there was no calculation done in respect of ventilation.
The roofing contractors just do what they did on the last job.
Unless you specify the number of vents etc you're just going to get what they give you.
Our 195m2 house has 3 ridge vents and 6 eave vents.
We specified the 3 ridge vents but left the eave vent number up to the builder who insisted we didn't need any.
I retrofitted the eave vents after talking to the people who manufacture the ridge vents.
Building Commission won't help, total waste of time.
Discuss with your builder but don't expect them to budge.
Maybe time to just get hold of a roofer and get them to install more ridge vents and do more eave vents yourself
StructuralBIMGuy
hey anna123456 Welcome to the forum
anna123456
Surely builders should calculate roof space and provide appropriate ventilation? I have asked multiple times if this is calculated but have not received an answer.

If anyone has airflow calcs then they should be in the certified energy report?

anna123456
Am just about to talk to the Building Commission of WA but would appreciate if anyone has any insights?
Thank you, Anna

Without that data you are wasting your time at the BC
BTW Proper airflow simulations cost several $000s.. bit too late now...but may help others, of course, before they sign up

hi StructuralBIMguy, thanks for your comments, I have tried reading the energy report but have found it a bit hard to decipher, if the calculations are there, they are definitely not clearly labelled as "roof ventilation"
I will persevere. Kind regards, Anna
Althom
anna123456
Hi there,
Thank you, Anna

If it's you typical WA builder job there was no calculation done in respect of ventilation.
The roofing contractors just do what they did on the last job.
Unless you specify the number of vents etc you're just going to get what they give you.
Our 195m2 house has 3 ridge vents and 6 eave vents.
We specified the 3 ridge vents but left the eave vent number up to the builder who insisted we didn't need any.
I retrofitted the eave vents after talking to the people who manufacture the ridge vents.
Building Commission won't help, total waste of time.
Discuss with your builder but don't expect them to budge.
Maybe time to just get hold of a roofer and get them to install more ridge vents and do more eave vents yourself

Hi Althom, thanks so much for your comments. Yes, typical WA project builder!! I think we will just end up getting more vents done ourselves too. Cheers, Anna
The roof is a small part of the big picture, orientation, shading of windows etc has a much greater effect. A thermal camera and a review of your plans would be more helpful.
Pulse
The roof is a small part of the big picture, orientation, shading of windows etc has a much greater effect. A thermal camera and a review of your plans would be more helpful.

Thank you Pulse, I thought we did the right things; external shutters on all windows down all day, west side of the house nearly completely in the shadow of the large two storey next door. Will definitely think about plants for shading and thermal camera is excellent idea, didn't think of that, thank you. Kind regards, Anna
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

21/02/2024
BOUNDARY FENCES: Timber Lapped and Capped OR Colorbond?

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all, Our boundary perimeter fences need replacing (3 sides). From everyone's experience, what would you install? Timber lapped and capped OR colorbond? Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum