Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Roof Insulation Material Check

Page 1 of 1
Trying to rule out Mr Fluffy and not sure what kind of insulation this is:

Looks like cellulose blow in. Just basically shredded news paper.
chippy
Looks like cellulose blow in. Just basically shredded news paper.

So probably rubbish for insulation but at least it's not Mr Fluffy then
It's usually limited to the thickness of the joists and it compacts over time, so yes it's insulating properties are pretty poor compared to thick batts. Plus it's very messy if you need to work in the roof space.
It's also a pain to remove. The easiest way to remove it is a truck mounted industrial vacuum. You vac out the roof space and start again.
chippy
It's usually limited to the thickness of the joists and it compacts over time, so yes it's insulating properties are pretty poor compared to thick batts. Plus it's very messy if you need to work in the roof space.
It's also a pain to remove. The easiest way to remove it is a truck mounted industrial vacuum. You vac out the roof space and start again.

Thanks for the info, I figured it's going to need to be replaced and yes, I've heard it's a real pain in the butt in all aspects, oh well.
Related
25/08/2023
Material theft from site

General Discussion

Different to what others have said but thanks for that insight.

15/12/2023
Suitable material for build up around slab

Building A New House

Not recommended! The image presented is for a sublevel area. The footings are down deep with a load bearing wall supporting the upper floor level. If you did that drain…

24/01/2024
Mark up on material by trades as an owner builder

Building A New House

Always get multiple quotes, no matter how reasonable/cheap you think it is. I remember getting a few quotes for a pool fence, roughly around the same price, thinking the…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum