Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Anticon Insulation thickness for Colorbond Roof

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone. My builder quoted me that the colorbond roof upgrade includes 50mm Anticon insulation (Light Weight Building Blanket).

* Can't seem to find a 50mm thickness nowadays. Bradford Anticon website shows a minimum of 60mm. Anyone who had 50mm and what is your noise experience during heavy rain or hail?
* In terms of insulation, is it enough especially if I have R3.5 insulation batts to ceiling of living areas?
* Should I go for 80mm instead? Is it compatible with a Custom Orb colorbond roof?

Thanks
Also interested in finding an answer to this one, giving it a bump to see if it will get some attention.
dhanz15
Hello everyone. My builder quoted me that the colorbond roof upgrade includes 50mm Anticon insulation (Light Weight Building Blanket).

* Can't seem to find a 50mm thickness nowadays. Bradford Anticon website shows a minimum of 60mm. Anyone who had 50mm and what is your noise experience during heavy rain or hail?
* In terms of insulation, is it enough especially if I have R3.5 insulation batts to ceiling of living areas?
* Should I go for 80mm instead? Is it compatible with a Custom Orb colorbond roof?

Thanks

I personally opted to have no Anticon blanket but chose to have R5 ceiling batts instead. Anticon was quoted around $2.7k for whole house and Sarking/foil only was $1.7k (to prevent condensation and provide slight insulation).

I see no value in investing $3k for anticon blanket just to insulate your Roof space. Why not spend same money to get better energy efficiency by going with R5 ceiling batts rather than R3.5+Anticon!?

R5 ceiling batts usually are no brainier upgrade. Sometimes it's must to achieve 6 star energy rating
thanks. from your experience, did the R5 ceiling batt help reduce noise during heavy rain and hail?
dhanz15
thanks. from your experience, did the R5 ceiling batt help reduce noise during heavy rain and hail?

I live in a house with colourbond with no anticon - (Sarking only) and R3.5 insulation batts - we paid $4.5k back in 2010 to have colorbond. The rain noise is not much an issue for us (mostly because we hardly get 1-5hrs of heavy rain in a year in Melbourne and I in fact enjoy hearing it mostly through single glazed windoes.

For the new house that is currently at Frame stage has lesser distance between roof sheets & ceilings due to Skillion type - But having all doors and windows double glazed and thicker insulation (R5) is going to either have same noise if not lesser.

Trust me, you won't like to move to a Tiled roof house once you have lived in one with Tin roof.

I would suggest Focus on long term energy efficiency not only noise. I have spent 10s of hours on doing research and making decision for my house. I could have opted to not do Sarking and saved myself $1700 but I didn't (because sarking is not something you can do without removing the roof.). Sarking is not really needed if you don't have any Shower exhausts going into the roofspace. All ours will be vented through Fascia vents.
dhanz15

Thanks

I am in NSW and my system is colorbond with Bulk, R1.3 (60mm) below the roof system & as per the BASIX requirement and natHERs report there is a requirement for installation of R5.0 batts in the ceiling.

To get an acceptable star rating I am sure there is a requirement for batts below the roof insulation.

Refer https://www.nathers.gov.au/owners-and-b ... ar-ratings

The R5.0 is dependent on BASIX & natHERs ( if any attached to BASIX report)

R 5.0 are good for insulation and has excellent acoustical properties when properly installed.
Related
17/08/2023
26 year old Colorbond roof. Repaint or replace?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Your house roof does not show rusting other than some surface rust on the flashings. In my opinion you dont need to replace or paint the roof other than treat surface rust…

9/04/2024
Colorbond roof can you extend its life?

General Discussion

You should pressure clean your roof first and make sure the paint you buy also is anti mould.

5/05/2024
Asbestos Corrugated Roof Insulation

General Discussion

You can fit foil board between rafters

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum