Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Floor insulation - thermal bridge

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We have jus had an old California bungalow restumped and I am going to take advantage of this and insulate the floor. I’m going to use Bradford bats in between the joist which is straight toward - other than the small crawl space.
The question is thermal bridging, has anyone done anything to insulate the joists? A possible second layer? tape or is it just not worth it?

Thanks very much for any advice.
Is the crawl space enclosed?
Berek
Is the crawl space enclosed?

Hi Berek, thanks for the reply, no the crawl space is open with around 300mm crawl space.
The timber of the joist is a pretty good insulator so the 'cold bridge' effect is going to be low.

Have you thought about how you are going to hold the batts in place?

A easier option may be nailing foil board to the uderside of the joists, rather than batts
Wouldnt be held by something like: https://youtu.be/fIKCNPKI0AI
Hazelnutty
Wouldnt be held by something like: https://youtu.be/fIKCNPKI0AI

This is exactly what I have seen and will use the metal screw in clips. I can’t imagine the stick on options last anywhere near as long
bashworth
The timber of the joist is a pretty good insulator so the 'cold bridge' effect is going to be low.

Have you thought about how you are going to hold the batts in place?

A easier option may be nailing foil board to the uderside of the joists, rather than batts

Hi there, thank you for your reply. I am going to use the method in the reply below. I am just thinking of possibly adding a second layer of board rather than bats to prevent the bridging
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

18/07/2023
Current thinking on garage floor level with house floor

Building A New House

isn't a garage level with the rest of the house a given? pretty sure they 'came around' long time ago. if you have a flat block, the garage is usually level with the rest…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum