Join Login
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation

Ceiling insulation

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone, new here. I have just purchased my first home and need to put in some ceiling insulation batts. Does anyone have any suggestions on what R-value is the best for WA heat and where to find it at a low price? Thank you!
How is the rest of the house insulated? R3 if it’s not, R4 if it is. Insulation suffers from diminishing returns on $ per sq/m.
Berek
How is the rest of the house insulated? R3 if it’s not, R4 if it is. Insulation suffers from diminishing returns on $ per sq/m.

The rest of the house is double brick, so no insulation in the walls. If it’s not insulated anywhere else shouldn’t I aim to get a higher Rvalue for the ceiling?
Elightly
Berek

The rest of the house is double brick, so no insulation in the walls. If it’s not insulated anywhere else shouldn’t I aim to get a higher Rvalue for the ceiling?

You can do a retrofit wall insulation for your double brick InsulGuard Cavity Shield | Cavity Wall Insulation for New & Existing Homes (insulguardinsulation.com.au)
Just waiting on a quote for our house now.
Imagine you’re sleeping on a mattress in winter. You are cold but only have a $1 tea towel to cover you. Still cold. You have another tea towel but it cost $10. You add that but you still have cold feet. Next one costs $100 and again your feet are still cold.

Covering only 1part of your body is like insulating only 1 part of the house. Heat/cold is gained/lost through walls floor and windows.
For Perth, the government's 'Your Home' website recommends a minimum of R4.1 for the roof/ceiling, R2.8 for the walls

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/insulation
Related
21/01/2024
Ceiling insulation batts distance

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Found the answer. The recommended distance is ....

8/05/2024
Builder wants to build new ceiling over defective ceiling

Building A New House

Thank you @ashington Homes for your reply! They just got back to me and offered credit for me to just take it as is. It was a less than quotes I got from ceiling…

15/06/2023
Missing Building Wrap / Insulation

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hey guys building a new place through a volume builder and just wondering if i should complain to the site supervisor as we just had plasterboard installed. Looks like…

You are here
Building ForumHeating, Cooling & Insulation
Home
Pros
Forum