Join Login
Building ForumWhat's New

New R ratings in May

Page 1 of 1
Hi, has anyone had their builder mention the new Energy ratings yet? My builder told me it will add between 3-10 thou onto the price of new houses.
It depends on which state in Australia. Are you in Darwin or Hobart?
In WA, building in the south west.
Yes, all homes sold in the near future will be required to be built to a specified R rating. Existing homes will be required to be audited and have an energy rating applied.

Whilst in typical fashion, some have shallow insight into this, the overall benefits by far out weigh any additional costs to building the home.
Essentially as it stands we build homes to cost us money. Glorified boxes that generate heat in summer and get cold in winter. It needs to be the other way round. It can easily be the other way round.

The costs of what it takes in energy to offset current building practices and landscaping designs mean these changes are desperately needed.

We are changing urban climates, increasing carbon outputs generating power and pumping gas, deliberately designing consumption into our buildings and not designing them to reduce their impact as best as can be done.

A few large added is insignificant compared to the costs of doing nothing and continuing poor building and design.

Sent via Tapatalk
I agree. In a country like Australia where we have limited water and copious amounts of sunshine we are way behind in the efficiency of our homes in the utilisation of these resources. This another positive step by the government and relevant authorities.
From this site here...
http://www.climatechange.gov.au/what-yo ... homes.aspx
Quote:
In capital cities, homes can achieve a saving of a little over half a percent of the total cost of a new dwelling or incur a cost of approximately a quarter of a per cent of the total cost of a new dwelling.

The short term cost imposed on a new home builder or major renovator is far outweighed by the long term savings and other benefits over the life of the building.

Stewie
I heartily agree that we should build much more energy efficient houses - apart from anything else - I like to comfortable!
The Energy assessor who works with my architect has done a quick assessment of my plans, and says it currently rates about 7. She says that a rating of 7 will save approximately 25% of heating/cooling costs every year over a house rated at 6.
As my land is 1/2 acre I am able to orient the building perfectly which does make a big difference, but those savings over the life of the house will easily pay for any extra costs to get the rating.
to be honest I'd be a fan of the lifting of minimum R ratings/Basix Again in light of the rising temperatures.
Related
23/04/2024
NCC Changes Coming 1 May 2024

Building A New House

I engaged my builder in December last year and we’ve been working on preliminary drawings for last couple of months. I got a call from the salesperson this morning…

10/06/2023
Pathway to new build : WWYD

Home Finance

A person needs to be licensed to offer financial advice. Surely the accountant you use would have been chosen for his/her expertise in this field. Have you asked your…

21/06/2023
New Pergola

Outdoor Living

Is there a building permit? RU in Victoria? What is the value of the building contract?

You are here
Building ForumWhat's New
Home
Pros
Forum