Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

side path ideas

Page 1 of 1
Hello All
Starting to look at landscaping for our house and the concept plan shows the sides with stepping stone with pebbles .
Not sure if it the best for a well used side path including to roll our wheelie bin
Any advice please
Regards
Pebbles are awful. They allow weed growth and trap debris (leaves, grass clippings etc). They're not cheaper than pavers either. I would suggest just paving the sides.

A better alternative to pebbles is crushed granite. Easier to rake or broom after it's been compacted. That's the closest thing to gravel/pebbles which I wholeheartedly agree are impractical.
Pavers are next on the list, which don't go green / stain like the crushed granite will over time if it's shady (aka, down the side of a house). Pavers can be scrubbed /hosed as well, but still allow a bit of weed between the pavers after a few years.
Lastly there is concrete, asphalt or wet lay pavers/tiles which are the best performers and
available in many finishes and limited only by your imagination.
If your worried about costs, just get bulk mulch (landscape suppliers call it leaf mulch), and lay it thick. Use some cheap precast large /thick steppers on compacted earth (or even wet mortar and a string line) (hot water unit concrete pads) and plant some ground cover and small shrubs. You'll spend about $20 per stepper, $50 on bulk mulch(delivered) and about $200 in plants. Definitely doable for anyone with the motivation

Thank you Amileka and SteveMc
Before you consider the type of path, you must first consider your soil classification.
Related
16/01/2024
Side path options

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all Following the recent heavy rainfall in Sydney, I am keen on redirecting water away from the house's base as much as…

11/08/2023
Path around drop edge beam

Paving & Concreting

Hello everyone, After some suggestions and ideas about how to put a concrete path around the drop edge beam area on our new build. We are required to have a concrete path…

27/01/2024
Porte cochère - separate pedestrian gate/path?

Building A New House

Thank you so much for your response. I have drawn a pedestrian gate in - for curb appeal, let's see how much costs come in at. I think you're right - if we decide to…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum