Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Cost of landscaping

Page 1 of 1
How long is a piece of string... I know....

Anyone who is willing to share- would you mind posting a photo of your finished landscaping with a rough cost? Maybe with a reference of what you got for that, it might help folk like me with no idea!

Every landscaper we’ve booked to come out wants to know our budget before hand- and to be quite honest we don’t even know ballpark what it costs.

We don’t want to say ‘$50k’ for example, if what we actually have in mind (which is quite basic) is only $30k... we feel that they will simply push the quote to our budget.

Would appreciate any help! Thanks!

The reason they ask for your budget is so they don’t come out, measure up, gather info, prepare a quote, and then you tell them you can’t afford it.
gillybean
The reason they ask for your budget is so they don’t come out, measure up, gather info, prepare a quote, and then you tell them you can’t afford it.

I'd also then argue the opposite, that by giving them a budget, they will miraculously find a way to spend every single bit of it...

Catch 22 situation really
Check out cat_dunc landscape thread. There is a list of cost for landscaping on page 7.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84989
shazaw
Check out cat_dunc landscape thread. There is a list of cost for landscaping on page 7.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84989

Thank you

It’s like building a house really- the budget or price you’re prepared to pay is relative to what you get. We ended up spending twice what we thought we would on the build which was ok- we could afford to, but if had have told me years before what I’d end up spending I would have made very different choices from the outset.

Certainly don’t want to waste time but I’m also really over the ‘oh big new house- must have an endless supply of money’ type quoting that we have been getting generally

I hope this may be of some assistance ... attached are some photos which cover the majority of the landscaping we did.

I've also attached a photo from the front of the house before we started work, so you can get an idea of (at least at the front) the amount of change we needed to make to ground levels (it really wasn't that much ... but felt like it with the wheelbarrow & shovels!).

So, before we started:

Now, most of the front done:

And then after it was finished (first Christmas I think - grass looks brand new):

Driveway, so you can see the size:

The small back yard (behind the alfresco):

And the small side area (beside the alfresco):

So ... costs!

In order to do all of that (retaining walls included - you can sort-of see the entire block is ringed by low retaining walls) except without the driveway or the raised garden beds, we were quoted ~$80k.
We fell over, stood up, fell over again when we remembered why we'd fallen over in the first place, and did it all (except for the diagonally-aligned pavers in the back yard) for ~$20k in materials & tools. The labour for concreting-in the pavers was something like $2k or thereabouts.
It took us about 9-10 months of weekends, but we weren't super-duper-duper enthusiastic & working on it every single clear day. Plus we probably only put in 6-7 hours each day at a max.

Driveway ended-up being $13.5k.
Forg
I hope this may be of some assistance ... attached are some photos which cover the majority of the landscaping we did.

I've also attached a photo from the front of the house before we started work, so you can get an idea of (at least at the front) the amount of change we needed to make to ground levels (it really wasn't that much ... but felt like it with the wheelbarrow & shovels!).

So, before we started:

Now, most of the front done:

And then after it was finished (first Christmas I think - grass looks brand new):

Driveway, so you can see the size:

The small back yard (behind the alfresco):

And the small side area (beside the alfresco):

So ... costs!

In order to do all of that (retaining walls included - you can sort-of see the entire block is ringed by low retaining walls) except without the driveway or the raised garden beds, we were quoted ~$80k.
We fell over, stood up, fell over again when we remembered why we'd fallen over in the first place, and did it all (except for the diagonally-aligned pavers in the back yard) for ~$20k in materials & tools. The labour for concreting-in the pavers was something like $2k or thereabouts.
It took us about 9-10 months of weekends, but we weren't super-duper-duper enthusiastic & working on it every single clear day. Plus we probably only put in 6-7 hours each day at a max.

Driveway ended-up being $13.5k.

You’ve done a superb job! Your place looks amazing. And thanks so much for sharing! Gosh I think I’m gonna be in for a rude shock when we start getting quotes. Unfortunately I’m not married to a handy man and I get so frustrated when we try and do anything manual because I have the ability and he won’t let me do ‘boy jobs’ so I see us spending way more than we need to.

Anything retaining related is happy to leave to the pros but in terms of edging and plants... I can see money dripping away so fast....

Oh, believe me, we're complete amateurs! I think my better-half watched a few YouTube videos for the retaining walls, how to mix the quick-set cement, what needs to be done etc etc. Digging the holes for the retaining walls (most were 60cm & 90cm but we had a few over a metre) was pretty hard slog, but we got it done, and we bought ourselves a brand new car with what we didn't spend on the landscaping ...

It's all about research, she's really good at getting into the mindset of finding how to do something & then just doing it.
But I'd be fibbing if I said it didn't take what felt like a LOT of time (although I'm kinda happy to be able to say "we did that ourselves" now).
Great topic, I'm keen to follow along.

Agreed great Topic.. my2c
1. Try to also Include units of measurement, ie L/m,m2, m3 and Time it takes eg, Concrete Drive way 80m2, 2 Days
2. Reference/link information you have found useful, ie Websites, PDFs, Google sheets,apps, etc
3.Other can use this information for DIY, DI4me or DIL8ter
4,5,,etc
hth
Has anyone installed a driveway made of pavers recently? I'm trying to look at how much it would cost per sqm at the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. I understand it may depend on the type of paver and the site but I'm just after how much it would typically cost.
StructuralBIMGuy
Agreed great Topic.. my2c
1. Try to also Include units of measurement, ie L/m,m2, m3 and Time it takes eg, Concrete Drive way 80m2, 2 Days
2. Reference/link information you have found useful, ie Websites, PDFs, Google sheets,apps, etc
3.Other can use this information for DIY, DI4me or DIL8ter
4,5,,etc
hth
Haha... Right now I am in the process of gathering all of the info I can to diy our driveway... We spent a lot of money on an emergency trip overseas and now our budget is too tight. I am thinking in bringing someone for leveling the driveway and a spa and shed space and then I will prepare the framework myself and then ask a concreter to pour.... any information and recommendation would be great.

In general, landscape designers are very expensive
Santa01
So what did we do... We got three quotes ranging from basic work through to a real designer look with hardscapes and softscapes. It was to be expected that this would come in at a lot more than the basic quotes for basic work... It was SO worth it though. Now I never want to sell my house

MrsJM
Santa01

So what did we do... We got three quotes ranging from basic work through to a real designer look with hardscapes and softscapes. It was to be expected that this would come in at a lot more than the basic quotes for basic work... It was SO worth it though. Now I never want to sell my house

so what was the lowest quote? What was the highest quote?

Who did you pick and what was the cost?
MrsJM
Santa01

Wow that is stunning.. well done!
Fore2
MrsJM
Santa01

so what was the lowest quote? What was the highest quote?

Who did you pick and what was the cost?
Lowest quote was $45k odd- basic block garden edging, turf, plants, some paving. Final price was over three times that but so worth it. We have a space we can actually use and the sunken firepit... we tossed and turned as to whether we would even use it and we are out there every weekend in winter! Here’s a shot before the bamboo behind the feature posts exploded

Related
18/09/2023
Home loan and landscaping change in price

Home Finance

Hi, you've probably already resolved this, however, Commbank will probably pay the funds to you after you send evidence the work is done regardless the change in the quotes.

2/08/2023
Pre-build landscaping considerations

Landscape & Garden Design

Ideally you would engage a landscaper to give you some insight what they may need in the space to make your vision come to life…

21/05/2024
Landscaping recommendations in Melbourne for New Build

Landscape & Garden Design

Yes, I was happy with the work, bar a few small things. Overall, communication could have been better though. However, I found them reliable and did good work at a…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum