Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Help on backyard - are we making the right choice of house?

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We have gone to tender with two companies with similar designs. We are now at the stage where we need to make a decision to move forward with one and pay the next fee and be locked in.

We are are struggling as we are not sure if our backyard is sufficient. We love our house design but COULD prob change it to something that fits better with the backyard. We also can't set our house forward anymore due to the neighbours.

Below is what we were thinking.. Extending the alfresco with a BBQ area and continue it to the decking area for the pool. Have the grass on the other side about 6m by 7m.

Is that enough room for kids to play? Do you think that layout would look weird? We do have full-length windows at the rear so you will see out to the pool and grass area.

You can see the space on the right-hand side of the property which is about 5m wide going down to 3.6m wide. We were thinking of having more grass and maybe herb garden etc. The thing is it's not easily accessible.

We are seriously considering throwing out the house plan and getting something that sits a bit better.. maybe

We are looking at getting a landscape designer to help but they are very expensive.

UPDATE: Considering mirroring the house as it might work better?! Thoughts?
Personally I think your back yard is spacious enough considered your planning on constructing a pool. You still have a decent area adjacent to the pool and an additional side area ie. a 10m X 3m section outside the kitchen which could also have a trampoline/ Cubby / swing set and the like if needed.

SteveMc
Personally I think your back yard is spacious enough considered your planning on constructing a pool. You still have a decent area adjacent to the pool and an additional side area ie. a 10m X 3m section outside the kitchen which could also have a trampoline/ Cubby / swing set and the like if needed.

Hey SteveMC... Yeah true but it might be better if we flip the house. What do you think of the below?? Does it work better, pool against the house/living room with big windows?

Where is North? Ideally grass and plants will do best in best sunlight. Pools with solar heating can cope and are often better or of direct sunlight. Opinions differ there though.

SteveMc
Where is North? Ideally grass and plants will do best in best sunlight. Pools with solar heating can cope and are often better or of direct sunlight. Opinions differ there though.

It's north facing. See the image below.. it gets sun most of the day.

I think either of the above options would be similar. Just stuck on what is the best layout on looks etc.

Well, in that case it's a matter of personal preference.

SteveMc
Well, in that case it's a matter of personal preference.

Yes I know. We are just torn on which option will look better for a landscaping perspective.

IE: WIth the first option the pool is next to the alfresco which means there is a fence 1m away from the alfresco which might make it feel a bit small. The second option the pool is against the house and the alfresco opens up to the grass.. Will that look better.

It's our first house so looking for what other people think
All other things being equal I prefer the updated option. Also, if the pool is right up against the house, you could have a large window to the ground looking out onto the pool and that would be amazing!

Hillsbuilds
All other things being equal I prefer the updated option. Also, if the pool is right up against the house, you could have a large window to the ground looking out onto the pool and that would be amazing!

Thanks HillsBuilds, we are in the same mind now.
hi can you flip the whole house except the leisure room and alfresco and put that long side against the boundary. this would give you a lot more room down the other side and grass area by putting the pool in the back corner of the yard need leisure room.
Yes we can but that layout is not what we want. Kitchen and dining together is not ideal.

We will go with flipped and comparmse on the sides i think. Also checking with other design options.

Thanks for responding !
stevezau
Yes we can but that layout is not what we want. Kitchen and dining together is not ideal.
!

Agreed. The last thing you want after cooking a meal is to eat it in an adjacent dining area.
Related
1/05/2024
House Designs making use of wide (~ 20m) frontage

Building A New House

Yes, Im following your Lindfield build, looks amazing.

17/06/2023
Right sand to use?

Paving & Concreting

I'm putting a new floor in my kitchen, slate flagging on a standard concrete slab. I have allowed for a bed thickness of up to 20mm to accommodate the different…

27/02/2024
Does this quote seem right? Turf + landscaping

Landscape & Garden Design

They using concrete or timber sleepers? Timber or steel uprights? Any drainage behind sleeper?

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum