Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Is this quote reasonable??

Page 1 of 2
Hi All,
We are just completing a new build and have received this quote from a reputable landscaper. It's the only quote I have so far just wanted your opinions on it- does it seem reasonable? Keep in mind it's full landscaping of back and front. I've also attached the design.
Thanks!

The only thing that jumps out at me is the garden lighting. $325 a light seems like a lot. Looks like you are going for the works though:) I like it;)

Ok I'll bite (comment)

Those prices are ridiculous
eg. Garden mulch
$2310/105m2 = $22/m2 includes labour

You can buy your own Mulch at bunnings
$6/1.8 m2 = $3.40m2 Plus labour

OT...Most battlers struggle to spend an extra $140K on their basic homes...goodluck
Um, I would not be using Bunnings prices for anything unless I was doing it myself altogether. Show much does labor cost in this country? (Pssst, it's a lot!)

Really...
All my Bim Models, Data, Planning Apps & Google sheets are connected to the online Bunnings prices. Labour rates are tied to seek, ie landscaper $35-50/hr, my man hour constants (output p/hr), plant are industry standards for planning, etc,etc & all thats left to analysis is profit$
When we design/model projects with extract data.... we give fairly accurate pricing.
Out of interest these are trade prices from our latest building project contract. This was written July 2017 so if not the same would be higher now. Area is newcastle Nsw.

Bim guy- I anticipate you’ll argue this, as that’s what you always do. I’ll do my best to ignore your next comment.

Cat_dunc
try to follow the math
Landscape Labourer 3 @ hrs x $50/hr = $150
Mulch 105m2 x $3.40 m2 = $360
Tot = $510
Quote $2310 - $510= Profit $1800 ?
That's + 353% on labour & Materials
No-ones saying that they shouldn't make a fair profit
Only that the battlers & Punters should shop around with data and proofs in hand...get the gist
I don't see anything big wrong with the OPs price list other than what I mentioned. It is a lot of $$ but looks like they're going the whole hog.

You have absolutely no idea what materials are in that quote nor how many labourers they will have etc.

TheBigHouse
You have absolutely no idea what materials are in that quote nor how many labourers they will have etc.

And you have no idea the value of $1800...
That's 2 weeks wages for a battler, I doubt the banks lending will see value
Go The full hog at Bunnings on 12V garden lights for $50 and save or is that too cheap? hth
Wow. Just thought I'd check back to see if anyone had responded. This got away from me really fast didn't it?!😂😂
Maybe I should have given some context. This is my 3rd build it is going to be the dream home, we will not be doing another build anytime soon. It is an $800,000 luxury build and I would love a garden to match. We did the cheaper Bunnings DIY garden in the first two homes and I have to say, I honestly regretted it both times. Definitely cheaper yes, but did nothing to add value to either of the homes. Won't be lending from the banks so no worries there.
This time around I want a quality job done by a professional landscape designer.
Having said all that, I would still like to hear from others who may have recently done a landscape with a similar scope to ours maybe they could give me some guidance with what they paid or perhaps hear from landscape designers in the profession who could tell me honestly if the price is overblown or not.

I appreciate the responses so far, especially the tip about the garden lights from TheBigHouse.Thanks for that I spoke to the landscaper today and he has definitely got some cheaper options for me to look at. Maybe not as cheap as the Bunnings 12 volt lights but definitely cheaper than the original price!!

Thanks again everyone. Great forum!
Hey have you looked at Orph’s landscaping? Search for him on here. He had a landscaper do his yard.

StructuralBIMGuy
TheBigHouse

And you have no idea the value of $1800...
That's 2 weeks wages for a battler

Sure I do. It was fairly obvious to me that the quote was not for a battler doing it tough who needs to shop at the reject shop for their build. Just about all the stuff you can get at Bunnings isn't going to last. Some of us want and can afford a bit more quality. Some of us can't though and that's ok too.

ayaman
Wow. Just thought I'd check back to see if anyone had responded. This got away from me really fast didn't it?!

Maybe I should have given some context. This is my 3rd build it is going to be the dream home, we will not be doing another build anytime soon. It is an $800,000 luxury build and I would love a garden to match. We did the cheaper Bunnings DIY garden in the first two homes and I have to say, I honestly regretted it both times. Definitely cheaper yes, but did nothing to add value to either of the homes. Won't be lending from the banks so no worries there.
This time around I want a quality job done by a professional landscape designer.
Having said all that, I would still like to hear from others who may have recently done a landscape with a similar scope to ours maybe they could give me some guidance with what they paid or perhaps hear from landscape designers in the profession who could tell me honestly if the price is overblown or not.

I appreciate the responses so far, especially the tip about the garden lights from TheBigHouse.Thanks for that I spoke to the landscaper today and he has definitely got some cheaper options for me to look at. Maybe not as cheap as the Bunnings 12 volt lights but definitely cheaper than the original price!!

Glad to help if I can.

My thoughts were similar to yours, our latest build was our second. One thing I think about all this is that in general most landscaping does not much to improve I've the value of your home but in saying that I don't think you are overcapitalising if you stick to around 15% of your house build cost to do landscaping. Going over that make sure it's for things you will really enjoy rather than thinking about resale.

In our house we already had a pool, but I paid to remodel it, add a spa to the side and got new equipment. That was 60k to do that and also only included the coping.

For the rest we paid 77k which included front and rear driveways (rear single driveway to access rear property) a big travertine pool deck and patio, ~600sqM of turf, front brick wall, crushed granite pathways, perimeter walkway concrete around "the big house", a brick base for my big shed, front driveway crossover, a new footpath all across the frontage, and various underground provisions for future use, drainage etc.

I didn't do irrigation this time as I wanted to plan better and do after we built. I did do it is the last house and it was similar prices to yours so that's why I didn't mention it:)

I hope this helps.

Now that's what I'm talking about:):)

Thanks for sharing Nothing special there except the price....here
$200K/800K =25% on landscaping and LOL you recommend 15% by your calcs his over capitalised?
It's lucky ayaman doesn't have to bank on your figures
StructuralBIMGuy
$200K/800K =25% on landscaping and LOL you recommend 15% by your calcs his over capitalised?

*** off.

TheBigHouse
ayaman
Wow. Just thought I'd check back to see if anyone had responded. This got away from me really fast didn't it?!

Glad to help if I can.

My thoughts were similar to yours, our latest build was our second. One thing I think about all this is that in general most landscaping does not much to improve I've the value of your home but in saying that I don't think you are overcapitalising if you stick to around 15% of your house build cost to do landscaping. Going over that make sure it's for things you will really enjoy rather than thinking about resale.

In our house we already had a pool, but I paid to remodel it, add a spa to the side and got new equipment. That was 60k to do that and also only included the coping.

For the rest we paid 77k which included front and rear driveways (rear single driveway to access rear property) a big travertine pool deck and patio, ~600sqM of turf, front brick wall, crushed granite pathways, perimeter walkway concrete around "the big house", a brick base for my big shed, front driveway crossover, a new footpath all across the frontage, and various underground provisions for future use, drainage etc.

I didn't do irrigation this time as I wanted to plan better and do after we built. I did do it is the last house and it was similar prices to yours so that's why I didn't mention it:)

I hope this helps.

Thanks! That helps me a lot! Your pool area looks amazing, the travertine is stunning!

We originally went into this project with a budget of $80,000 for the landscaping and $80,000 for the pool which looking at your costs, tells me I was on the right track. We have gone over by a good $50,000 on the 'nice to haves'. The landscaper has said the next step is to sit and go through the quote with a fine tooth comb to work out materials etc and look for areas we can trim it down. For example, the motorised vergola is a 'nice to have', but at $25,000, we can find something cheaper. I'll be interested to see how much I can cut down without compromising too much on quality and what we want. This is the forever home, no plans to sell, so it's truly about doing it for us. We work our bums off and would love to create ourselves a little oasis to come home to!

Thanks for sharing, you've created a beautiful space!
TheBigHouse
StructuralBIMGuy

*** off.

LOL...I can see math isn't your strongest point
cat_dunc
Hey have you looked at Orph’s landscaping? Search for him on here. He had a landscaper do his yard.

No, I haven't seen Orph's Landscaping. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely search for him and have a look! Thanks
ayaman
. For example, the motorised vergola is a 'nice to have', but at $25,000, we can find something cheaper. I'll be interested to see how much I can cut down without compromising too much on quality and what we want. This is the forever home, no plans to sell, so it's truly about doing it for us. We work our bums off and would love to create ourselves a little oasis to come home to!

Ha..ha...ha..Now I've seen it all
Here are budget Automatic Louvre Pergola
hth
Related
29/11/2023
Extension cost - $3500/m2 reasonable?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Seems good to me. I've been told $4-5k/sqm is reasonable in Perth.

8/11/2023
Kitchen Quote - What should be included?

Kitchen Corner

hey there! 😊 so, it’s kinda common for standard drawer depths to be around 500mm since most cabinets use this size to fit the usual runners…

7/08/2023
Kitchen Quote advice please!

General Discussion

I was being kind to the builder. With the amount charged for the upgrade the builder is probably charging closer to 100% margin. There are a few variables as I…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum