Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

"Foreign" Grass in Sir Walter

Page 1 of 1
My neighbour on one side and I both laid Sir Walter at the same time and he has his lawn mowed by "professionals". They cut his lawn very low down whereas I leave a bit of height as I was told this will help prevent weeds.

In this photo you can see his lawn in the background with lots of these tuffs of foreign grass immediately behind the Telstra box and further in the background. You'll also see a tuff of it on my lawn at the edge of the driveway.

Here's a closer view.

Plus a view of my lawn from the road and I've boxed the areas where this grass is invading.

My neighbour on my other side laid his Sir Walter 7 months ago at Christmas time and he's also got this "foreign" grass.

What is this grass and what's the best way of getting rid of it? I'm wary of just pulling it up as I don't want seeds falling off and it just coming back. I have tried a weed killer called "Sir Walter Lawn Weed Killer" that deals with winter grass but it's done nothing.

One other thing if you don't mind. In the photo with the blue squares, you can see my lawn has "empty" spots where grass is growing but not fully (hard to describe). Do I just fill these areas with organic soil?

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
It looks like winter grass. It's no big deal but you should at least mow it down every 2 or three weeks so it doesn't go to seed.
There are some sprays which you can use sparingly in these areas rather than the whole area.

Yep it's just winter grass by the looks. Wait till the warm weather comes and it will die off (mow off the seed heads in spring) or spray out with https://www.bunnings.com.au/amgrow-100m ... r_p2980004
Hi

That's what I have been using.

I might need to give it a second go.

Thanks.
Takes time to work, if it doesn't it's probably rye grass which won't last in the heat.
Related
17/12/2023
Synthetic Grass DIY

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Please help me to answer this question , it will help me a lot as i can go to buy confidently with your recommendation: I want to put synthetic turf in our backyard for…

1/06/2024
South facing garden - growing grass

Landscape & Garden Design

Help!! I’m meant to start building soon and have only really just learnt about orientation. Im reading so much that no grass will grow on the heavily shaded south…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum