Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

New garden in a very rocky clay soil Brisbane block

Page 1 of 1
Hi all, we are nearly at the end of our new home build and starting to think about our gardens now. We are on a very rocky/ clay soil small block with a water easement at the back. Can anyone suggest how we can best prep our garden beds and what type of plants are compatible with our soil conditions? I would like a cottage/ Hampton style them if we can find suitable plants. Thanks in advance.

Hi Corinda dream 2016,
the best place I found for this information, quality plants at less than half price (for most) was the Rocklea Markets on Saturdays.
We have just completed our yard, steep slope with very rocky/clay soil and have tried a good variety of plants which are all thriving in the soil and climate conditions.
For a ground cover I can is the Pink Flowering Baby Sun Rose - Aptenia (AKA: Heart Leaf , Ice Plant) Trailing Succulent. Quite pretty and thick (reduces weeding), it grows really well in full Brisbane sun but is slower in shade.
If you are looking for hedging, then the Lilipilli 'BIG RED' is a good performer. we tried a couple of the other Lillipilli's but they had trouble surviving (our philosophy is if it needs to be tended it doesn't need to be in our garden. just trim once or twice a year). We also found the size to get of these is the same as they sell to developers. this give the plant a semi established look and they don't seem to struggle in any way.
Related
18/01/2024
Soft clay in footing

Landscape & Garden Design

I've dug some footings to embed a post anchor into. My holes are around 450mm deep which I'll put a 200mm stirrup into. The bottom of these holes seem firm enough. …

30/06/2023
kitchen bench in very light colour?

Kitchen Corner

Hi - thanks for your reply. Yes I think 'Ill go for whitish with very speckly bits rather than pure white something like this. PS was actually 2008 I built the…

29/06/2023
Renovation/Extension at Auchenflower, Brisbane.

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hello Josh, This is Irving from PRIMA, we are a manufacturer of the staircase, railings, kitchen cabinets, windows, doors from China. If you have requirement to purchase…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum