Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Lilly Pilly dying in same area

Page 1 of 1
Hello, i'm just after some suggestions on how to plant a Lilly Pilly in an area where it keeps dying after replanting new ones twice over the last few years.

As you can see in the image the Lilly Pillys on the left and the right have grown well but towards the middle they get shorter and the ones on the centre don't grow at all and keep dying.

It just looks silly and I would really like to have it look like a nice even hedge all the way along.

Can someone please help me understand what's happening.

I'm an armature when it comes to landscaping and gardening.

Thanks

Today https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5dHW4cxWAddlRHSkpsR2U2bTQ/view?usp=sharing

Two years ago https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz5dHW4cxWAdYmpoRUNBaVl6MFU/view?usp=sharing
The pics aren't showing. But anyway, there's either a problem with the soil or grubs that are chewing the root system.
A soil test is simple. Check pH, and check if the soil is hydro phobic.

SteveMc
The pics aren't showing. But anyway, there's either a problem with the soil or grubs that are chewing the root system.
A soil test is simple. Check pH, and check if the soil is hydro phobic.

Thanks, I put the direct links into the post now.

Is this ph test kit from Bunnings what i need? https://www.bunnings.com.au/manutec-garden-care-products-soil-ph-test-kit_p3016727
Yep. That's the one. If your planning to pull out the ones that are struggling, check out the root ball and the surrounding soil for grubs or any other evidence for root damage.
Alternatively, you can get professor Mac's 3in1 which will help kill grub, and improve the soil. Molasses and seasol wouldn't hurt either. But if pH is wrong, all these things are pointless.
But let's start with the pics.
Damage from a mower or line trimmer?Heavily compacted soil?

If it's not physical damage, ie ring barking from line trimmer as mentioned above, or herbicide damage (from the lawn) then it's the soil.
Check the PH
Check for compaction
Check for water logging, could be a possible broken pipe- soil usually stinks if you dig down.
Check soil type, does the area have soil or buried building waste consisiting of concrete, rock, gravel etc.
If you have irrigation make sure it is working on the problem tree.
If it was pests all the hedge would show issues. Same goes with nutrients. Although the tree may lack nutrients due to the soil not allowing the plant to absorb them.
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum