Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

New sod - Questions on seasol, powerfeed and molasses

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I laid new sod in my backyard about 10 days ago. The sod is just beginning to knit in really well and is getting harder to lift on the corners.

I've been reading Fu Manchu, and others', posts on using molasses, seasol and powerfeed for lawns (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1275977) and (http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=15058) are just two examples.

A few facts before I get to my question:
- Soil is typical Canberra clay that has 75-100mm of sandy loam on top. levelled and rolled before sod laid, then sod rolled lightly to ensure contact. No soil treatments or wetting agents were added nor have any been added since;
- Grass is a blend of tall fine fescue and kentucky bluegrass (Canturf blend);
- There is some yellowing, but new shoots are coming through in those spots. Mostly green with some deep green areas;
- It is currently watered 2x50min per day (at 0500 and 1900. There are 2 zones, but both overlap each other);
- There is adequate run-off; and
- There is some light foot-printing happening when I walk on it (I'm not, it was just to test).

Today I made the following mixture in a 9L watering can expecting it to cover about 75m2:
- 1 cup molasses;
- 1 cup seasol; and
- 1/2 cup powerfeed.

The watering can only landed up doing about 25-30m2 and I repeated the process 4 more times (with less powerfeed, probably about 1/4 cup for the last 3 watering cans) to cover the whole 120m2.

Only afterwards did I realise that perhaps I did too much powerfeed, and perhaps I could have left this another 2 weeks or so. I thought I had done enough research, but now I'm second guessing myself.

Have I overdosed the new sod, and did I do it too soon? If I have, what steps can I take now to try mitigate any issues? I'm a bit worried about killing off $1500 of new grass...

Every different garden centre has a different opinion, and I never seem to get consistent advice.

Any help?

Thanks,

Sean
Related
8/02/2024
Building a new home , insurance questions

Building A New House

Hi Suku18 In NSW the statutory required insurances are: 1. HBCF ( Home Building Compensation Fund) - This is if the builder dies or goes broke. But this only covers 20%…

13/09/2023
decoration and colour questions

Interior Decorating Lounge

Thanks for that! Yeah, I was thinking timber front door.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum