Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Required compost for new lawn.

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am planning on putting in lawn into our new home in Perth .. as it is currently just a sandpit.
I am following Fu's Lawn Guide and I am little confused on how much 'Certified Organic Compost' to order.

I have ordered 115m2 of zoysia grass which will be delivered next Saturday.
The guide says you need around 0.2m cubed per sqm. So does this mean i need 23m cubed of compost.. that sounds like way too much and is going to cost an arm and leg. Is this right?

Currently I have the sand leveled to around 3 cm lower than the patio ... should i remove more sand as compost will fill it up again?

Any help would be awesome
Hi,

I work for a landscaper and we rarely bring in the additional oil to improve the wonderful sand here in WA but what you are doing should yield great results. We use an organic fertiliser prior to laying new turf.

I would say that what they meant was maybe .02 per cubic meter as 0.2 would be a whole new yard.

If the client requests that we use a compost or enriched soil or it is recommended then it is usually special lawn mix that is put down before and then levelled out, watered down and the lawn placed down over that and then watered in well again. Also when laying start with a border around the area you are laying the turf down in and then fill the rest in and try to keep it running in a uniform direction once the border has been made. We also run a compactor over the lawn once it is laid to ensure it has good contact with the soil underneath and no air pockets.

Please don't forget to contact the water auth for an exemption for your new lawn as you will be watering a fair bit more than they would like and heard they are good up that way catching folk out.

I hope that this has helped and good luck and take your time and ensure you have some sharp hand sheers, hedge cutters to trim your lawn ends and overhangs.
beetsare
Hi,

I work for a landscaper and we rarely bring in the additional oil to improve the wonderful sand here in WA but what you are doing should yield great results. We use an organic fertiliser prior to laying new turf.

I would say that what they meant was maybe .02 per cubic meter as 0.2 would be a whole new yard.

If the client requests that we use a compost or enriched soil or it is recommended then it is usually special lawn mix that is put down before and then levelled out, watered down and the lawn placed down over that and then watered in well again. Also when laying start with a border around the area you are laying the turf down in and then fill the rest in and try to keep it running in a uniform direction once the border has been made. We also run a compactor over the lawn once it is laid to ensure it has good contact with the soil underneath and no air pockets.

Please don't forget to contact the water auth for an exemption for your new lawn as you will be watering a fair bit more than they would like and heard they are good up that way catching folk out.

I hope that this has helped and good luck and take your time and ensure you have some sharp hand sheers, hedge cutters to trim your lawn ends and overhangs.

Thanks for the info. So you are saying you don't really enrich the soil as it is just sand which holds no water and nutrients?
Related
27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

2/01/2024
Please advice, are roof flashings required at the end of the

General Discussion

Minimum overhang into gutter must be 50mm, turn down tool should not split the sheet. it seems wrong tool for the profile was used, the flashing cannot slope back. Rib…

29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum