Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Help needed selecting plants for new garden - Perth WA

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker, first time poster so please be kind!

I have followed Fu's soil prep advice and have prepared and mulched 2 garden beds, I just cant work out what I want to do next!

The garden is North facing so gets plenty of morning sun. I would like something to give a bit of shade/privacy to the windows in summer but not so much it blocks out the warmth needed for winter.

low maintenance is key, so thinking a native garden...here are some pictures. Any suggestions are welcomed.

http://imgur.com/a/LhCol
I planted a mix of Phormiums, Lomandras and Nandinas in the main garden of my front yard. The Phormiums I planted grow to approx 1 to 1.2m and the others remain smaller. See my blog for pics.

I was going to suggest a deciduous tree like an Ornamental Pear which would allow for shade in summer and light in winter but it may be a little to close to your house.
Beware of natives - generally not so low maintenance unless you're happy with a completely untamed look.
Maybe look at some evergreen Magnolias?
HomeAngels
I was going to suggest a deciduous tree like an Ornamental Pear which would allow for shade in summer and light in winter but it may be a little to close to your house.

A crimson spire (ornamental plum) grows quite narrow and gives good color. We have one near our front door for privacy.
Pants001
HomeAngels

A crimson spire (ornamental plum) grows quite narrow and gives good color. We have one near our front door for privacy.

Agreed, i have 3 of them planted 1m apart in our front, i can take a photo if you like.

Oakville Crimson Spire (Prunus cerasifera)

They flower very nice white fowers in spring. I also uplight mine at night. very nice effect.
I'd like to see a photo
Related
25/01/2024
Plants for Pool in Melbourne

Landscape & Garden Design

Murraya could be a great option for you. It creates a great tall screening hedge but doesn't drop fruit like lily pilly. The flowers smell divine.

27/05/2024
Help! Getting my garden and home ready for winter

Interior Decorating Lounge

Hey everyone, With winter just around the corner, I'm starting to think about how to prepare my home and garden for the cooler weather. Winters can be a bit surprising,…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum