Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Reflection pool

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone incorporated a reflecting pool as part of their landscaped design?

Something similar to this:

If so I am eager to hear from you the approximate size, cost, pros and cons of having one.

I'm thinking about getting one made up in stainless steel compared to using a plastic, fibreglass or brick.

Any comments and opinions would be welcome.

Cheers
If you want a reflection pool, you really need to keep the internals of the pool black, which basically means poly or some form of plastic liner inside of it.
Check with your local council as you might need to fence it.
^ generally only if the water is over 300mm deep.
As for bpratts suggestion I agree with black to get the most contrast and reflection, but I'd do it out of concrete or brick and use black waterproofing compound.

Stewie
A breeding ground for Mosquitos if your area is prone to them.
If you introduce some voracious native mossie larvae eating fish like the little Pacific Blue-Eye you'll never have a problem with them. Either those or a species of Rainbow Fish which also keep algae down.

Stewie
Thanks guys, great pointers there. Will have to check with council about those bits mentioned.

Yeah we did think about mossies breeding and also maybe a couple of fish to solve that problem.

Thanks for the suggestions on the fish types
Not sure about fish in that type of pool as they will require plants and possibly netting over the top for protection. A drop of AQUATAIN now and then is a better idea than having fish in a reflection pool.

We used food dye in water features when we did expos, maybe you should experiment with a little and judge the results.
Thanks SaveH2O, you are right about the fish and extra care that goes into them.

Aquatain sounds interesting, but I have yet to source someone who sells them in Western Australia...might have to pay some pool shops a visit.

Can you let me know in more detail why use food dye used in water?

Cheers
Aquatain is expensive and you only need a few drops. I'm don't know what the smallest retail quantity is.

It will also reduce the evaporation losses. If you know someone with a pool, ask them if they use Aquatain as a liquid blanket and ask for a small amount. If they don't use it, they probably don't know about it and when they buy some after you tell them about it, ask again if you can have a small amount.

We just used the food colouring (dye) that you buy in the supermarket. The 50ml bottle in front of me is the QUEEN brand, manufactured in QLD by Queen Fine Foods P/l. You don't need much.
I would like to do some of these too.
From a building one perspective, is it as simple as dig hole, lay slab, build walls & seal big time? (plastic or Tar stuff - which is better)
(Obviously paving around it etc too)
I am hoping it is easy to do as well Perth_Euro...

Anyone know if these fibreglass troughs could be used?

http://www.yourpond.com.au/epages/shop. ... nds/Formal
I think there would be a big difference between something like that fibreglass one which looks more cheap fishpond to me than the more formal ones that are usually found at war memorial sites or at the entrance to expensive hotels - concrete base, Besser block walls - all painted black then a surround of polished black granite with a water infinity edge.

Something like this...

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc455/stewiesno1/Reflection%20Pool_zps28fmbska.png

Stewie
Related
17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

13/08/2023
In-ground pool lining

Pools & Spas

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly. Please advise if it's not. I've just bought my place. The inground pool has a marble lining that has…

25/01/2024
Plants for Pool in Melbourne

Landscape & Garden Design

Murraya could be a great option for you. It creates a great tall screening hedge but doesn't drop fruit like lily pilly. The flowers smell divine.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum