Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Lawn Care Assistance/guidance

Page 1 of 1
Good afternoon everyone,

I have been lurking around for the past couple of months but have decided I do require assistance. I just purchase my first home, I had always looked after my parents house lawn with care though didn't ever really get into it, I just enjoyed mowing it and watering it to ensure it had looked nice and green.

With my house, it has stumped me, I don't know what type of grass it is, I would also like to know what the "hardy" looking grass is on the top ridge of the area (see link). The grass itself doesn't looks too bad but it definitely needs some love, I beleive the old owner just through in the cheapest stuff available and let it go and never maintained it.

My first requirement I believe is:
-> Aerate lawn
-> Top-Dress lawn (it has a couple of holes around)
-> Slowly remove weeds that are large nuisance.

Link to photos: The grass has full sunlight everyday (through-out all the lawn).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6kigrjdq9snw ... 7d3da?dl=0

If there is anything I am missing or required answered please don't hesitate to ask..

Thanks,
Chad.
What area are you in?

I see a lot of grassy weeds in those pictures, and not a lot of favourable grasses
SimonR
What area are you in?

I see a lot of grassy weeds in those pictures, and not a lot of favourable grasses

Hi SimonR,

I am located in Brisbane..

Hmm.. This isn't sounding good is it?
Well for anyone that maybe following this thread or for future reference.

I used Herbicide Selective Brunnings 500ml Paspalum from Bunnings, sprayed it over all the crabgrass on Friday night checked it over the weekend and this morning (Monday) can really tell it has attacked the crabgrass and is slowly dying. On Sunday next week or Monday (public holiday) I will use some scott's feed and weed killer and give the grass a good soaking of water.

The grass itself is also living well and the herbicide hasn't killed any of it as of yet, so far soo good.. I understand it's going to be a long process just wish I could fast forward the process.
Its very frustrating I am similar issues with my grass, trying to get rid of weeds is a constant battle. I have used some of the lawn thickener seeds/fertilisers from bunnings before and they seem to work a treat. I think if you can thicken up some actual grass once you have killed off some of the weeds it will be easier to keep them at bay.
missmae
Its very frustrating I am similar issues with my grass, trying to get rid of weeds is a constant battle. I have used some of the lawn thickener seeds/fertilisers from bunnings before and they seem to work a treat. I think if you can thicken up some actual grass once you have killed off some of the weeds it will be easier to keep them at bay.

I have Scotts Feed and Weed killer to throw over it this weekend (10 days after the Paspalum has been used).. Very much looking forward to that.. Though not being able to mow it 2 days before and 2 days after means I won't have mowed it for 3 weeks.. I guess it's best to let it all settle down then mow over it.

The weedy grass has pretty much died off, looking very yellow which is great news.. Though it looks like absolute b@lls now with it being yellow and the rest green.

So my question is: Do I remove the dead weedy grass by hand now or let the grass take over?
Hey Guys,

Here is a link with the updated photos of what the grass looks like now.. Pretty average looking.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2xmsphmeo9g ... 4PRra?dl=0

As to: Should I pull out the dead crabgrass is still an outstanding question?
Well over the weekend, I was a brave man and decided to spread some top soil.. After 2.5Ton, 2 days and something ridiculous in square meters, I finished, the accomplished feeling felt great.

I also decided to remove all the crabgrass and fill the holes with the top soil sowed seed and watered the buggery out of it (but not so it puddled). I believe the grass is looking better in RL though time will tell how it goes.

Also after 24 hours I through some Scotts feed and weed killer.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/edsxezje8qw5 ... 6632a?dl=0
Hey All,

Just thought I'd update you all. It looks like some of the grass is coming through ok in the back yard.

Though the front yard where I had all the crabgrass/weedy grass it looks like it's coming back in some areas?

Was I meant to throw some pre-emergent herbicide over it before I sow seed over it or do I wait for the couch seeds to germinate then throw some more herbicide over the weedy grass?

This is a completely frustrating exercise.
Related
2/06/2024
House and land package Guidance

Building A New House

Hi everyone, I'm very new to the housing market and would appreciate any guidance. I have found what I think is a good land and home package. Marketed as "turnkey".…

24/06/2023
Recommendation for Assistance on lodging objection

General Discussion

Hi, Appreciate any recommendations for town planners or advisors who can help assist to assess and draft an objection to a neighbour’s development in Northern Beaches.…

19/10/2023
retaining wall assistance

Building A New House

Hey guys, We're very new to building and have got our contract back with a, btw you need a retaining wall, addition. Going by my very limited ability to read site…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum