Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

How to Grow Stone Fruit With No Copper Sulphate

Page 1 of 1
My grandparents had at one stage planted both peach and nectarines in their subtropical garden. With the usual result, lots of brown rot and the need to incessantly use copper sulphate. My mother complained that she never got good crops if she didn't spray.

I tried an experiment since I was encouraging her to give up all forms of pesticides, yes even natural ones. I wanted the garden to be a self-sustaining ecosystem that kept pests in check through balance rather than intervention. I know it seems like an impossible dream, but we succeeded.

- First of all I pruned out the dead wood on these old tree's and then thinned out what was still alive. I also cleared out the brambles and ornamental gingers growing directly under them.
- We grew two successive crops of green manure under these trees.
- We interplanted insect attractant flowers and herbs in every garden bed to increase the biodiversity.

The following season, although the trees did not flower as prolifically as before and we had less fruit. The fruit we did have was unmarred by brown rot and good to eat. I estimated it would take a few years for the trees to bounce back from the hard pruning they had received that winter. But there was no leaf curl, no fruit fly and no brown rot on the fruit.

Two things I believe were important. The green manure improved the soil directly under the trees, and that coupled with the loss of the dead and diseased wood helped the trees to better vitality.

The vastly increased insect population, both in numbers and it's diversity ensured the disappearance of pests we were commonly having trouble with before, namely aphids (we now had an army of ladybugs in the garden) and curl grubs (no idea what happened to them, but I have noted that wherever the earthworms were present in large numbers, curl grubs were not to be found). We also saw a colony of blue banded native bees move into the garden.

I was skeptical about this in the beginning but decided to try something out before I dismissed it. I was astounded at the power of this.
Cool.
There is a lot to be said for an eco approach with little or no use of any chemicals.

Stewie
We have lived in the old house for 10 years and did not use any chemicals ones. Every year we had an absolutely huge crop of peaches and mandarins. Apples were a bit worse as the trees are very old but still had a nice crop of apples.

I will be planting the new fruit garden this year at our newly built house and planing not to use any chemicals again.

Could I ask what green manure is?
OK, have done some research and reading. Thanks strawlizzy for mentioning it. Will be planting this green manure in my garden this year. Absolutely amazing stuff!
Related
27/02/2024
Re-routing hot water copper pipe

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We have a hot water copper pipe that runs from our hot water unit on one side of our house under a concrete slab to our bathroom and laundry...old house so not ideal. The…

16/05/2024
Copper log fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all. Looking to do a 5 acre property fencing with 100mm copper logs fencing. 200mm ends. Land is sloping an hard to get machinery in. My question is. If I do the holes…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum