Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Lawns, reticulation, advice/enlightenment

Page 1 of 1
Hi

Have been going round in circles for ages trying to work out what to do/who to get, etc for our garden (Perth). Have spoken with a few people but they never come back again, so something must be frightening them off

Our garden is overgrown/sandy and we thought we'd do it in stages so reckoned a lawn laid now it's winter. However, there's a bit of builder's rubble about (nothing huge, but still probably need a Dingo or something - too much for us to do). Having read Fu's wonderful advice re prepping the soil, I can't find anyone who would go to this length before laying lawn. I oscillate between getting someone in to clear the lawn areas (had someone round but they never came back!), then we could do the prep then get a lawn person in, or just get someone to do it all. We got plans done years ago but things have changed re neighbouring properties (screeing needed now) and ours, so they're no use (and we weren't overly impressed with them either). Finding that elusive all-round person is proving difficult.

So after that ramble, wondered if anyone could recommend someone suitable and willing and able
, or suggested how we should tackle this?

I might add that, having looked at a number of landscapers/gardeners online, we're not keen on the tidy/structured/pavers/pebbles/architectural plants sort of style (I'm sure there's a name for it
) more natural as it is now but overgrown with plants/veges not weeds! And definitely like the idea of the soil improvement (again got someone round to rotary hoe the whole place a while and do the soil, but he wasn't keen either! I'm getting a complex!)

Many thanks for your help

ETA - I read the lawns/nature strip thread and this is another quandry for me do we join the new front lawn to the nature strip and lay lawn there, or make that native, which I like but - Where do you put your rubbish on verge collection days?!!!
Don't want to hire a Dingo for a few days and do it yourself? That way you can get the soil to the spec you want.
Lay your reticulation and level your soil ready to go.

Then just pay someone to deliver and lay your turf.

That's what I did anyways for my previous home (Though I added reticulation later, should have done it at the same time.
Thanks applor
I had considered this but I'm not sure I'm capable or competent enough to operate a dingo - perhaps a few years ago...
Really a Dingo is not that hard to operate. As long as you have good entry space to get it around back you won't have problems.
When they drop it off they'll give you a tutorial etc. they are pretty straight forward.
It just means your costs will be a lot higher if you have to pay an operator - but if you're doing that then you can just tell them what you want done.
Thanks again applor
I guess it's just a bit overwhelming when I look at the garden
Need to extract the digit and do something though!
Related
18/02/2024
Footing advice and core fill advice for 600mm retaining wall

Paving & Concreting

Versaloc is a mortarless besser block system that still needs a properly engineered footing. If you just do a 400x200 footing it will fail in time. At 17m long you need it…

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum