Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Professional Landscape Design

Page 1 of 1
I have engaged a professional Landscape designer and horticulturist to do my new house plot which is due to be finished around Oct. I wanted to post the plans and tell everyone how it goes and answer any questions anyone had. I went with someone accredited with the Landscape Assoc. in Victoria. She is also a sustainable advocate. All copyright belongs to Timandra Landscape Design. Sorry the pics are a bit *******. They are so large it was hard to fit in the screen.

They have quoted me to complete the works and I am going to go ahead with that as well. The plans were $1800. It's expensive I know but I live in an area with a lot of challenges such as salt spray and limestone soil. The plants chosen should thrive in their environment. I thought I would (and have in the past) throw good money after bad trying to keep a badly designed garden going so I thought long term it would be a good investment. Also the amount we spend on our homes, it's probably not that much..
I also have a reference folder that is presented so anyone can follow it. Also drainage, watering systems etc is designed.

I'll try to post much better looking pictures when I get a chance.

I've considered it many times, but the price scares me. Not the $1800 bit, but the price of all the plants, etc. Did she give you a ballpark on how much it would cost to do the work?

I'm on heavy clay and don't have much if a green thumb anyway. It might be worth looking into.
I have a ballpark but maybe slightly more depending on drainage system and retaining wall. She sources the plants herself and does all the soil prep. Does your clay drain well? It is exciting when you get someone in and they know exactly what will grow well. She only charges installation at the going rate for a gardener etc rather than a horticulturist so I'm paying more for the plans.

Clay typically doesn't drain well at all. The soil would have to be improved greatly before I would attempt such a grand job. My problem is that I've got a 3m easement, so planting up to the back fence line will run the risk that if the council (or whoever) needs access to dig up that land, all of my trees / shrubs will be dug up as well. I'm trying to think of a design where I can use trees in massive pots (at least those can be moved if need be). I like how there's a bit of a zigzag flow to yours, not just a straight line.
One question: Why did she choose to put lilydale topping in a few places? It would certainly add texture and variety, I'm just wondering how I would mow over it.
Lilydale toppings is permeable and sets to a hard surface. It's preferable to concrete because nutrients are drained into the soil keeping it healthy. She didn't really want to put turf down at all (neither did I) but my husband wanted it so she has contained it in the square. That's the only lawn. Where the trees are is just Lilydale toppings. I can place some pavers or gravels over it. I also have an easement where my trees are going. I've always had easements and never had an issue. Mind you I wouldn't hard scape over it or put in any deep rooted trees. Our council has given permission to plant over the easement as long as roots don't invade any pipes. Our council was also able to show what the easement was for. Of course you could lose your plantings at any time though. I was at my last house for 10 years and no one needed to access our easement. It will depend exactly what it's for. Ours was something related to the cemetery behind us but the main access point was not on our property so I think we would have to really be really unlucky. Maybe go to council and see exactly what it's for. It may be something that they'll never touch.

Quote:
My problem is that I've got a 3m easement, so planting up to the back fence line will run the risk that if the council (or whoever) needs access to dig up that land, all of my trees / shrubs will be dug up as well.

GG, it has been my experience that 99% of easements never get access by the councils or water authority and if they need to most of it is just to lift the lids on manholes etc. Especially if you are in a newer area then all the pipes will be plastic so no chance of tree roots getting in there to cause problems.
Blockages are usually easily fixed from the manholes too so no excavations necessary.

Stewie
Latest landscaping pictures show the front garden design. The trees will grow to be different heights. The end section was going to be a bit unattractive so they made a feature of different height posts that will weather to a grey colour. We will also add a sculpture to this area to keep it a focal point. To give the garden some interest while we wait for it to grow, a fairly tall pear was put in. This is visible from our living room inside and it's lovely to see out to a tree. It has a drip water system and timer tap. They also put in the small retainer wall. front decking and steps also done.

We now have a small area of grass. Looks better already.

I have a landscape plan for the rest of the backyard but we are considering doing it ourselves. We want large trees to screen the back and side fences and preferably natives. In the ground we will copy the front with Lilydale toppings and create a path. I'm tossing up whether or not to put in a raised vegetable garden but I'm not sure we have the time or inclination for it. I'm thinking of being out there over a wet soggy winter vs having some home grown veg. Hmm
Hi Joanne,

Landscaping is coming along nicely, will compliment your beautiful home. I do like the grass, there is something about green lawn
For what it's worth, I would try some raised veggie gardens, no bending, easy to weed etc and fresh veggies versus wet soggy winter is worth the compromise.
Just my 2 cents worth though, whatever you do will be great, you have created a beautiful home
Related
29/06/2023
Landscape Design Parramatta NSW

Landscape & Garden Design

Landscape Design Parramatta We have been doing a large amount of landscape design work in Sydney…

11/08/2023
Landscape backyard on a slope land

Need advice on the backyard plan above. Should I excavate and cut all of the dirt to level with the house slab or semi-excavate as per photo above? Both left and right…

29/08/2023
Landscape construction drawings and process

Thanks very much! And would the landscaper/contractor generally involve the engineer or is that something the client would do? Thanks for your help

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum