Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Electric Mowers

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,
My couch covers about 150m2 and is bang on 3 weeks old. Since I don't yet have a lawn mower...I was thinking that the finer leaf of the couch...I could get away with an electric mower (http://www.flymo.com.au/node2415.aspx?nid=63529 (not the hover one) or similar).

What are peoples thoughts/experience on an electric mower for couch?

Cheers
Mine isn't a Flymo but is a rechargeable mower and is the greatest invention since sliced bread!! In saying that, there was a small area of Kikuyu in the rental and I used to adjust the mower one notch higher, but it still did a good job. I don't bother with the catcher, instead prop the rear shute open just a little so grass clippings don't clog up the works and my shoes/legs don't get splattered.

After every 2nd or 3rd mow, I plug the power adaptor into a power point and it's ready to go again next time, I mow a little over 400sqm each time. The battery can also be removed quite easily and take to the power point but I find it just as easy to leave it in situ for charging. At least you have options.

I'm assuming the Flymo is similar but didn't look into one as I didn't want to throw a whole lot of $$$'s at a rechargeable because I had doubts as to their capabilities....those doubts have been proved unfounded!! Anyway here's the one I have, ebay.com.au #280745718281 ....I can't vouch for, or promoting that seller as I bought mine elsewhere but it's the same mower (mine was cheaper). I've been using it for just over 18 months and would buy another in a heartbeat...a close family member bought a 'broken' one on eBay for a handful of $$$'s, it only needed a new fuse!! Btw, the fuse fitted when new is way too low and blew when I mowed into a clump of grass (yeah, shouldn't have done it, but you know how it is?) and I took it to an auto electrician to be tested, it was all OK and he said to use a 30Amp fuse, not a problem since.

Hope this helps a little?
Well...I used my sisters tiny electric mower at a rental and it seemed to go OK. The yard in the back was ridiculously overgrown, but with a bit of effort...the mower did what I needed it to do. The grass was very much a broadleaf or similar. So based on that, I'd think that a good quality electric should be able to handle couch fairly easily.

Cheers
Good that it handled an overgrown yard...I haven't needed to tackle anything like that so wasn't sure how it would cope. As you probably noticed they are so much quieter than a petrol mower. When I lived on acres we had about 3 or 4 petrol mowers and a big ride-on and I used to mow 3.5 acres every week....rigged up a 12v outlet and plugged in a walkman so I had something to listen to while mowing!! LOL
Ive got a Flymo electric lawnmower. Its light and easy to start which is what i need due to crappy shoulders.

Its not the hover type but one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flymo-Venturer- ... B0001IWHTI

I use it on newly laid EZ out the back and kikuyu seeded lawn, with EZ in it, out the front.

It does a good job if the height is kept in check but i would not like to use it on really thick high lawn. Just wouldnt have the power. I would love a mulcher mower.

First time i used it i ended up with the electric cord in the pool. Woops

Ive read good things abouth the Bosch Rotak models. Amazon UK will deliver them to Australia and i think you can get the double battery model for the same price as a single battery model here.
A bit of research, a Bosch Rotak 37 LI is what I'm looking at. Oddly, Amazon Germany have them for about $100 cheaper than Amazon UK. Go figure. Bunnings have the same mower....for $600. Amazon DE can do $460 delivered.

However, the missus is paranoid about warranty issues if purchased from OS. So who wins this argument? $460 from Germany...or $600 from Bunnings?

I mean, Bosch don't make sh0nky products, so the likelihood of something failing within 2 years would just be pure bad-luck.
This is an old thread at Ozbargain relating to the 34LI model..

http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/42540

Doesnt mention about the warranty, but, you will need a plug adaptor.
Great topic!

We recently purchased the $99 Ozito Electric Mower from Bunnings. It only has a 300mm cutting radius but thats plenty enough for me. We have about 120sqm of Sir Walter lawn and we had not mowed it for the first 6 months so it was a little 'over grown' to say the least and the little Ozito sliced through it like warm butter!

The catcher is a little on the small side but with the wheel barrow close by this is no real big deal. SO I would have to give this little mower a BIG thumbs up!

How can you go wrong for under $100 (just) with a 2 year replacement warranty!
Boiselfish...you are laughing all the way to the bank, just as I am. Mine cost $140 +$20 or $25 postage, it's slightly bigger than the Ozito I think but still a great little mower.

What I would really like....(drum roll please~~~) is a rechargeable, robot mower just like the Roomba vacuum cleaner I have. What a perfect pair??? Then I'd have more time to do other things!!

<http://www.energymatters.com.au/index.php?main_page=news_article&article_id=270>

If someone wants to share the winning Lotto numbers it might become a reality....well a girl can live in hope!!! LOL
Actually...that Ozito looks like the one I borrowed from my sis for the rental we lived in. However, the only real thing that bugged me about it...was having to be aware of and drag the power cord everywhere. The rotak appeals because it's got some pretty sweet reviews...and it Li-Ion powered.
ssvetec
Actually...that Ozito looks like the one I borrowed from my sis for the rental we lived in. However, the only real thing that bugged me about it...was having to be aware of and drag the power cord everywhere. The rotak appeals because it's got some pretty sweet reviews...and it Li-Ion powered.

Agreed the cord could be a hastle. I just mow away from the power point.

If anything thought id be more concerned about the battery holding less charge as it gets older. But I would be interested to know how long HappyCamper_au has had their mower & battery.
Any opinions on the Ryobi 36V mower?
Boiselfish as mentioned above I've had the mower (with battery) for 18 months, during summer it's used weekly and during winter about every 3-4 weeks. My son bought a used one on eBay after seeing mine, it only needed a new fuse and while he doesn't know how much work it's done the blades still looked like new so we assume not much use at all. My guess is that someone blew the fuse and didn't know why the mower stopped and listed it on eBay.

They are much quieter than a petrol mower and also quite lightweight as well.

Althom at a guess I'd say the Ryobi 36v would be good because my no-name brand is 24v and I'm really happy with it's performance and would expect a 36v to be even better. What length is the blade? mine is 450mm.

These days I don't put a whole lot into brand names as most stuff is made in China anyway, just rebadged and comes with a higher price ticket.

The comment above re dragging a power cable behind when mowing reminded me of an incident many years ago. MIL had a Flymo which had a mile of power cable trailing behind because there was no power point outside the house and she used to put it through an open window into a bedroom, then on the other side of the house did the same through another bedroom window.

Anyway, her DGD who was approx 10 or 12yo at the time was made (as punishment) to mow her DGM's lawn...now I don't know if it was deliberate or accidental, but she ran over the power cable which resulted in the mower stopping in a flash of blue sparks and black acrid smoke!! As she was already in trouble and knew this would get her into deeper doo-doo she took off home on foot, then sneaked into the house and hid in her bedroom. When the mower was no longer making a noise further investigation soon revealed DGD wasn't anywhere to be found and a search began with the whole family notified and we all got in our cars driving all over town looking for her...by now it was getting dark and we had just made the decision to contact the police when her mother went into her bedroom to check what clothes she had been wearing as the police would need to know. Her sobbing gave her away!!! We all laugh about it now but it must have scared the @#%% out of her!!
400mm cut on the Ryobi
What price is it?
$499 including battery and charger. The battery also suits the Ryobi hedge trimmer, edger, electric chain saw and blower/vac
Oh, that sounds like a much smaller (physical) size battery than the mower I have which you can see on the ebay listing I mentioned above...not the seller who I bought from but the same mower...higher price too!!
Looks good, bigger cutting circle and the price is great. Lead/acid battery though so that's why it's so large.
It's still quite lightweight although I wouldn't want it any lighter for mowing, it's easy to lift into and out of the car when necessary. Price was the determining factor as I was living in a rental while building and had to get someone to mow the lawns...he quoted $40 but at the end wanted $45 and hinting at $50!! Gave him $40 he originally quoted and said don't come back. Bought the rechargeable for $140 + $20 or $25 postage (can't remember which) so it paid for itself in short time.

Haven't checked the price for a new battery but there are several options...when the time comes!!
Related
25/06/2023
Seeking Advice on Installing an Electric Gate with Intercom

Building A New House

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here, and I'm looking for some advice regarding my house construction project in North Kellyville. I…

5/01/2024
Electric gate for s Street front villa

General Discussion

Hi all. I'm thinking of installing an electric gate in front of this street front villa (link below). The gate would be between the bush on the left and the letter box on…

29/04/2024
Best electric hot water system in 2024?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

For our new build in NSW we opted for a heat pump with a 315L storage tank. Early days yet as we only moved in 6 weeks ago. Haven't run out out of hot water though. Ours…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum