Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Ref_KT's back yard - Feel free to comment

Page 1 of 1
Hi All

Looking at finally doing my back yard landscaping.

Here is my rough plan. At the moment the only bit that cannot change is the paving which has already benn completed. The paving is shown in the pale yellow colour.

Dark brown - espaliered fruit trees
Light brown - garden beds (vegies, herbs etc)
Blue - Blue metal path with pavers, very little sun to this part.
Black - House and smaller area is built in BBQ
Green - turf or alternative
Yellow dots - dwarf fruit trees in pots or otherwise - Would eventually like to put a spa in this area.

Of course all soil prep will be done as per the Fu guide.

Any input would be extremely grateful.

I am also looking to get a patio installed over the paving in the near future.

West is the right hand side, back fence is south and left hand side is roughly east.
OK, questions before ideas,

How wide is the block across the back?

How much depth do you have from the back of house to the fence?

Any easements?

First thoughts are putting a row of trees along the western boundary where you want the spa, so as to shade from the afternoon sun. Proximity to neighbors, easements and the depth from the back of house to fence will affect what you can put there.

Patio? Do you mean putting some sort of roof over that area? If so then maybe forget the trees for shade.

What about a pergola covered with vines/creeping plants? You'll get shade from the plants but it wouldn't be rain proof.
18m across.

It's about 6 m fom majority of back of house, 6.5 from the rest to the back fence.

No easements.

The spa is realistically a few years away ($$$) so I don't want anything to permanent until closer to the time. It's about 2.5m from the side fence to the paving.

A patio with a roof yes that is what I meant. Am still deciding on maybe a pergola with vines/creeping plants.
OK, lots of space then. Any ideas about where the veggie beds will be? Also any kids around now or future perhaps? I had an idea for a layout but it wasn't kid friendly. I've had to adjust my on landscaping for the same reason.

The idea of dwarf trees in pots I like because you can move them when the spa comes in (even place them back around it if you want depending on size at the time)
No kids now and not any time in the next few years.

Was pretty much planning to run the veggie beds where all the light brown areas are. Figure if I am putting plants in there they should be useful plants.

Exactly my thoughts on the dwarf trees and pots, much easier to adapt at a later stage.

I would like a small area of lawn included.

Interested in the lay out you're thinking of - doesn't have to be kid friendly, long way to go before I get any of them
Pets? You could look at a lawn alternative so that you've got the greenery without the weekly mowing....
No pets, possibly a small dog within the next yr or so. Depends on possible job changes and some other stuff.

I did think about a lawn alternative but I'd like the option to lay out on the lawn in the sunshine or whatever and I don't know if that would be as practical with a lawn alternative.

Will be looking at lawn alternative for the front tho.
The words "lawn alternative" are making me nervous.

If you choose the right turf and do the Fu care then it will need mowing hardly ever.
Empire Zoysia for that, or Buffalo.

Over all you've got a very well thought out design that is practical and effective.
Woohoo-it worked! Fu stepped in!
Actually the lawn alternative I had in mind was a form of native grass I saw used on TV once-can't remember what it was though!
It was lowgrowing, could take light foot traffic and only needed mowing once or twice a year.

Any idea of what it could be Fu?
Yeah. I have a link to a few of them in the verges with out lawns thread.
Kt, our lawn is empire zoysia. So come say ello

http://www.gregsindigenouslandscapes.co ... 0Lawns.htm
Related
2/04/2024
How would you make this room feel homey

Interior Decorating Lounge

In my opinion just a few more indoor plants and you're done. It's already a lovely space, you've managed a classic style without being too cluttered and that creates a…

22/11/2023
where to place yard gullies?

Building A New House

can someone with more experience give me their insight? land is pretty much flat its pretty much at the top of a hill. left and right neighbours are flat in line with my…

29/12/2023
New development overlooks into my yard

General Discussion

Plant some bamboo along the fenceline >

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum