Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

seasol & Powerfeed mixture

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I picked up a seasol + Powerfeed pre mixed 2litre bottle from bunnings last night.

I was going to apply this to the whole of my front yard grass where it seems like it struggles a little in flourishing.... I was reading the instructions and it talks more about soil for plants rather than my sir walter buffalo grass.... do you think this will be ok? or should i test on a patch of my grass? i dont want to spray th whole lawn then find out in a few days all my grass is dead?
Tikelz,

We layed new turf approx 8 weeks ago, (Tall Fescue) recycled water development.

Seasol and Powerfeed; I mix my own in the spray on bottle.
Last four weeks; weekly applications of Seasol - 500ml.
Added Powerfeed - 250ml to last two.

Will shortly cut down to fortnightly followed by monthly applications.

Looks great
Cool.. i will give this mixture of seasol + powerfeed a go and hopefully see some good results..thanks for the feedback
I use them both on my buffalo, no problems.
tikelz
Cool.. i will give this mixture of seasol + powerfeed a go and hopefully see some good results..thanks for the feedback

Your welcome; I'm sure there are others with more scientific? information but this seems to work for me.
I will also apply a slow release fertilizer e.g. Scotts Lawn Builder if it needs it three times a year - start of Spring, Summer and Autumn.

After many years of gardening/lawns my best recommendation is to use a mulching mower. Natural fertilizer, quick and easy with no clippings to cart away.

Sit back and enjoy your garden
Hi Huggy_b.. how long until i should start seeing results?

Debra_50.. i couldnt afford a mulcher when i bought my lawn mower... but it will definately be my next mower.. my dad always had 1 and he was happy with it
tikelz
Hi Huggy_b.. how long until i should start seeing results?

Debra_50.. i couldnt afford a mulcher when i bought my lawn mower... but it will definately be my next mower.. my dad always had 1 and he was happy with it

I reckon my lawn looking like it does is more due to the soil prep than applying Seasol and powerfeed personally.

If you've done no soil prep per the "Fu guide" (thread stickied up the top), I'd be trying down that route by raking in zeolite etc. Not sure where you are based though? If you dont have much clay, I'd rake some of that in as well and some compost, some bactivate etc. Water it with the powerfeed then apply seasol weekly for a month, then take it back to once a month. Oh and molasses is good stuff to get your hands on as well...........read the sticky, its gold.

As for fertilizers, I believe Shades Of Green is the "Fu preferred" fertilizer if you can get your hands on it.
Ok i will read the stick. Thank you so much.

FYI im in Sydney... and i had soil then top soil applied before the crass was layed.. so i dont think i should have any clay
Hi I have seen people on these posts talk about a (sticky thread) what is it and where can I view the one mentioned on this thread?
As the Fu Man says - you feed the soil and the plants will take care of themselves.... try and increase bioorganisms in the soil - seasol will do that for you.
Thganks xanthrope..

Hi Pearl.. i think they are referring to this 1: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43570
If any one for a second thinks any one thing is going to be the saviour of a garden you'd be sadly mistaken.
Yes this is fantastic stuff. However it will only allow your lawn to be as good as the soil allows. As huggy said, have a read of the lawn sticky. Pop the kettle on and have a browse.
Without the right things under the ground, everything else will be struggling to work for you. If anyone attempts to get a green lawn in 5 days or what ever, the hidden problems and costs that sets you up for later in the year will not be worth it. Patience, time and persistence. Its regular use of a whole number of organic means that is what works.
I applied Powerfeed to our buffalo twice already (laid about 1.5 mths ago) and I used a heavy handed dosage, something like 100 ml per 9l of water.
However, I have one (fairly separate) flourishing area, so I didn't apply it there simply as I ran out. To be honest, I haven't noticed any visible difference whatsoever
even after the double application and at the top rate or slightly above it! The flourishing area (the one with zero P/F) is still way better than the treated area.

However2, I will not give up
. In fact, once I manage to source molasses, I'll use that too.
Hi Pearl.. i think they are referring to this 1: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43570[/quote]

Thanks tikelz for the link.
Lex, i have bought molasses in a jar in the health food section at coles. Its a bit more expensive way of doing it i guess. Think it was $3.75 for 500g jar.

Anyone know if these things are bad to use around a pond with fish?
Thanks blocka ... I called around and found one place in my area that has it. From mem, it's about 25$ for about 6 l, but he wasn't sure how big (or small!) the bucket is

One place asked me if I wanted it in a liquid or powder form
but then they said they don't stock it anyway

According to what I read about using this, it looks like it would be a bit easier to use it in the powder form.
Trying to dillute very, very thick liquid might be easier said than done
Lex
I applied Powerfeed to our buffalo twice already (laid about 1.5 mths ago) and I used a heavy handed dosage, something like 100 ml per 9l of water.
However, I have one (fairly separate) flourishing area, so I didn't apply it there simply as I ran out. To be honest, I haven't noticed any visible difference whatsoever
even after the double application and at the top rate or slightly above it! The flourishing area (the one with zero P/F) is still way better than the treated area.

However2, I will not give up
. In fact, once I manage to source molasses, I'll use that too.

Just picked up a 5L bucket for about $9.00 from the pet food store on the weekend. The larger ones that cater for horses etc
notremaison, are you able to send me a link of the brand you purchased? i have not seen this in a store yet, but i plan to buy on the weekend
tikelz
notremaison, are you able to send me a link of the brand you purchased? i have not seen this in a store yet, but i plan to buy on the weekend

Just checked the bucket and it was Qld Molasses. Bought from https://www.petstock.com.au/ which have stores all around Australia. Says on the website not all stores carry equine products.
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum