Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Please help my dear lemon tree

Page 1 of 2
Please help me provide some TLC to my lemon tree. I think it has some kind of wood boring bug. It seems healthy otherwise. I have noticed a couple of big looking mosquito like flies on the leaves but the trunk is my main concern.

Is it some kind of longhorn beetle? Looks like the trunk but about a foot from the ground is getting eaten away about 4cm perhaps going vertical.

What should I do? I have read to putty it up-is there a caterpillar living in the trunk part.

Oh dear. I love gardening but can't handle the bad bugs/caterpillars and stuff. EEEEK.
Got a photo?
I'll take a photo right now Fu and post it tonight.I'm very worried. Poor thing. It's flowered and looks like lemons are starting to take place.
They will look like rubbish in winter. They naturally go all yellow in the cold.

Ramp up organic mulch around them in the form of straw, nice and thick. When the hot weather arrives get some tree mulch on there.

Seasol, powerfeed. Bactivate.

You know what else as well. Molasses
Oh and none of that will make it green but does set up the right life in the soil for it to go well when it warms.
Fu the issue is it is quite green an hardly yellow-it's the stem I am worried about. Will upload the pics later tonight and I took photos of the leaves too. There is always lucern around the base and at least a good 1M around the ground too. Gave it some citrus feed and usually often do give it a good seasol watering.

Can you use seasol in winter or is it a waste of time and money?
And I was going to mention the McFertiliser component. I never mentioned it because its not needed and does more harm than good. They offer very poor value. Seasol, Powerfeed on the other hand though... wonderful
So you have the notion of WOFTAM back to front
However we know you have most things done fairly well. (other than the McCitrus fert)

Bactivate also.

...now where's that photo?
Trying to upload some pics now Fu.

I got the citrus fertiliser the other day..not sure why

Yeah, something had a chew. Mouse maybe. Weevils? It will be fine. Either way get some steriprune on it. Comes in a tin or a spray can. Just use what ever is easiest for you. I'd go the tin.

The other thing it could be, looking at it now, is that outer branch blowing in the wind and rubbing on the main stem. I guess a similar wound on the other branch would give a definitive answer on that.
The leaves being chewed, well I'd not bother about that.

The big mozzie like flys might be crane flys. No harm to you or the plant if that's what they are.

Make sure that tag is loosened up
Someone say MOUSE?
Do mice really eat things like that? I can't imagine one doing so. I did have a look to see if the other branch was rubbing onto it. Will re-investigate during daylight hours. Weavels? Eeek.

I thought the leaf damage may have been a result of whatever might be living if anything in the dark bit.

Will loosen the tag or better still take it off.

Thanks Fu.
Yeah they sorted looked like those crane flies you mention.

I will get some steriprune pronto. Thanks Fu.
That tree is going to have issues with its shape in years to come. I'd bite the bullet now and cut it back a bit on that "big sticky outty" branch. Bit hard to tell from those photos. From the side facing the fence would be a good view.
Is this pic better Fu? You mean the zig zaggy one? so the one that goes left and then cuts across right like and elbow?

yep.

But to work out how to clip it, a shot looking toward that fence would be good. Then I can see the shape of the tree from another angle
Your tree looks pretty healthy to me, but as Fu mentioned cut of the branch that is growing across the truck.
I also agree with Fu on the truck being either a wear mark from another branch. The leaf could have could have been chewed by snails, but that is nothing to be concerned about the tree looks in good shape overall.
The funny sticky outtie branch needs to be strategically cut. There is a few ways you could approach giving this tree a wonderful future shape. Hold off on the cutting till you post me a shot from a different angle
Thanks Jestson and Fu. Will take a photo tomorrow of a different angle. I'll also get some of that steriprune stuff.
You could also just paint on some white acrylic house paint on it too. Or nothing at all. The tree will heal over fine. Already looks to have started.
Yeah new leaves are growing on top and quite compact. I have no idea what I am doing but may have the "nack" at gardening...

Photo to come.
Related
4/08/2023
Tree Identification Mackay

General Discussion

Hello. I just bought a few acres in Habana, Mackay, and my horses seem to love hanging around under this tree. I would like to name the paddock after this tree. Can…

7/01/2024
What tree is this?

General Discussion

Fellow Perth dweller. Looks like pruns nigra. It's a dark leaf flowering plum. Doesn't get massive and is easily trimmed deciduous tree. Very popular in small gardens in Perth

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum