Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Feature Tree Selection for garden

Page 1 of 1
I would really appreciate help with tree selection. We are looking for a shade tree for the middle of our front garden which already has pencil pines along the boundries. The front is east facing and we are hoping to block out some of the early morning sun. We are looking for an evergreen tree that grows to about 5-7 m that would "blend" with the conifers. The style of the garden is formal but that doesn't necessarily mean we want/need a "formal" tree
Roots can't be too invasive as our sewerage lines run across our front garden. That is a list an a half but hopefully there are some ideas out there. Anyone have experience with an Evergreen Ash or a Tuckeroo. I live in Carramar, WA.
Oh no! Not an Ash (Fraxinus Griffithii). Lovely tree, but the roots are quite invasive. I have a row of these guys around 7 years old and they have roots near the top of the soil 2-3 inches in diameter. I wouldn't trust them around any type of water pipe/sewer.
What about a Magnolia Little Gem? Probably slower growing, but have gorgeous white flowers and dark green leaves.
what about a Tipuana Tipu? (sp?)

I like the yellow flowers and they are fast growing.

I was told that councils use them because they don't have invasive roots. My darling mother disagrees. I do see them in a lot of carparks though too.
There is about a trillion threads on this subject loaded with ideas
sheznay
what about a Tipuana Tipu? (sp?)

I like the yellow flowers and they are fast growing.

I was told that councils use them because they don't have invasive roots. My darling mother disagrees. I do see them in a lot of carparks though too.

Fu

Any advice on the Tipuana Tipu? The info I found on the net points to their invasive roots...
Related
24/07/2023
Firstyle Tile Selection

General Discussion

Hi Kaiser85, We are building with Firstyle Homes. Our build has just started, slab pour is on Saturday (hopefully!). Their standard range is pretty good. We did our…

26/02/2024
Need help on wall colour selection

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi there, we have classic cream gutters, fascia’s, roller door and undercover carport. We are are going to paint the roof a terracotta orange colour. After some…

20/04/2024
Colour Selection: Comments / Feedback

Building A New House

I am building Enfield 201 by Mimosa Homes - York Facade Link: https://www.mimosahomes.com.au/new-homes/enfield-201/ I did my colour appointment last week. I am looking…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum