Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Which mulch for kid's play area?

Page 1 of 1
What would be the best type of mulch (like they have in playgrounds) to use around a kid's swing set at home?
There's grass/weeds under it at the moment, do I kill this off first or dig it up?
Also - Can I use the same sort of mulch for nearby garden beds?
eimaj
We are going to use rubber mulch - you can get it from Clarke Rubber - ebay etc etc

It is expensive but lasts ages, you can get a range of colours and its safe.

We plan on digging up weeds, laying weed mat and then the rubber mulch spread thickly on top
i think soft fall mulch/ sawdust will be a better option.
Yes, you do need to replenish it yearly but it's cooler.
You can get softfall or playground mulch for landscape yard, we are using this under the trampoline but we are laying it on weed mat.

Cheers Lou
If you have ever read my posts on rubber mulches there is noo way you'd be using that anywhere near your kids!
I would strongly suggest you keep that away from them. Some ugly research has been done linking that with cancers. Still allowed to be used and sold in Australia for around kids play grounds though.
The chemicals that leach from old tyres and recycled rubber products are nasty.

Plain old pine bark will be fine
Fu Manchu
If you have ever read my posts on rubber mulches there is noo way you'd be using that anywhere near your kids!
I would strongly suggest you keep that away from them. Some ugly research has been done linking that with cancers. Still allowed to be used and sold in Australia for around kids play grounds though.
The chemicals that leach from old tyres and recycled rubber products are nasty.

Plain old pine bark will be fine

Thanks Fu, I think I will go with the pinebark then.
eimaj
Here is a photo of the softfall bark we put down under the trampoline on the weekend. We did this so we didn't have to move it mow under it. It is the same stuff the use in a lot of kids playgrounds.

http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/take2_photo/IMG_0053.jpg?t=1292392583

Cheers Lou
Thanks Lou that looks good.
Is that a different sort of mulch you have around the edges?

eimaj
We put hoop bark around the edges, we used that to cover the sloping gardens so it would not wash away.

Cheers Lou
The mulch you get from your local tree lopping bloke is what you will want to get. That will not blow away nor wash away because it will be made ou of a variety of material and particle sizes
The pine bark may do you head in.
Err oops may need to clarify Fu's post there, - pine bark mulch under the play equipment, tree mulch on the garden beds. Tree mulch under play equipment no good - very sore feet.
Yeah tree mulch on the garden areas
Related
12/06/2023
CDC Housing Code 3: Gross Floor Area vs Floor Area

Building A New House

CDC Housing Code 3 When to apply Floor Area external face of wall vs Gross Floor Area internal face of wall. Reading thru CDC Housing Code 3, lets take a lot 915sqm.…

11/09/2023
Building a Duplex on Sloping Block in a flood planning area

Building A New House

Give Jonathan a call. Tell him you know me. He is in my opinion the best surveyor I have ever worked with. His number is 0425 285 622 All the best Simeon

25/09/2023
Epoxy floors in living area

General Discussion

That would be great -Thank you.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum