Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

What to put down side of house

Page 1 of 2
I have 1.2m of space down the side of my house between the fence and the house. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to do with it that don't cost a lot of money. I was thinking blue metal.
Some type of screenings, whatever is available in your area. On the dead side of our house we've used Lancefield screenings. This is a large area of around 4m x 25m approx and it cost $300.
This is the only pic I have handy.
We put 100mm crushed rock down our utility side. 10m3 for $300 direct from the quarry.
If you put crushed rock use weedmat underneath to stop 'pumping' (the tendency of the rock to want to bury itself over time).
This is the correct use of weedmat, not to stop weeds as the name suggests.
Eventually you are going to get organic matter and dust in the rock and subsequently weeds, but it will take a while. Use big rocks and stepping stones to delay the process. Keep the area weeded.
I was going ask this question but also ask about plants - anyone have plants which would like to be on the south side of the house....and wouldn't mind a dog running up and down during 'patrols'??

good thread
keen
If you put crushed rock use weedmat underneath to stop 'pumping' (the tendency of the rock to want to bury itself over time).
This is the correct use of weedmat, not to stop weeds as the name suggests.
Eventually you are going to get organic matter and dust in the rock and subsequently weeds, but it will take a while. Use big rocks and stepping stones to delay the process. Keep the area weeded.

We were suggested a layer of recycled concrete at the bottom, and then decorative gravel on top. The concrete supposedly prevents weeds as it "interlocks" and only really strong and large weeds could (eventually) grow thr'u it, but they are much easier to control (pull out).
Do you think it holds true, or should we still use a weed mat??
We used nothing underneath, both our landscaper and the quarry guys said not to bother (the area was scraped and levelled when the rock work was done). We have had a few weeds in the warmer weather, but they just pull out easily. We needed the area to drain really easily as this is the dog's wet weather toilet, we didn't want anything hanging around.

There's a few recent threads about what to put under stones, screenings etc and one specifically about the use of weedmat. Might be of some help.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36046&hilit=weedmat
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37732&p=559404&hilit=weedmat#p559404
sheznay
I was going ask this question but also ask about plants - anyone have plants which would like to be on the south side of the house....and wouldn't mind a dog running up and down during 'patrols'??

good thread
Our dogs are down that side of the house. They have a 15m x 2m run, the base is all 100mm crushed rock (like I said earlier). We have pots growing succulents, and a few palms. Even though that side faces south, it still gets sun on part of it.
hmm - would never had considered pots - nice one.... thanks
Cant speak for clay type soils over east etc, but in WA sand the weed mat stops the stones burying into the sand as it has no guts at all.
I dont believe it makes any difference to weeds invading your stones as the seed in from above.
Use glypho on any grasses that appear.
Aaah, it's sand ... now it's clearer

thanks
I will be planting Tree Ferns down the south side of the house
Murraya panniculata, Vibernum Emerald lustre, Pittosporums (which I hate but many like
) Hop Bushes (Dodonea purpurum) Hibiscus, WA Native Hibiscus like Alyogyne (ally-Og-en-knee) huglelii, Port wine Magnolia, Camelias, Cockies toungue (Templetonia retusa)

There's heaps and heaps!
I love camellias.

This area is about 1.4m wide and leads from the garage and the laundry to the clothesline waaaaay down the back. We have Donnybrook toppings (Sunset toppings, Tuscan toppings....every supplier seems to have a different name for them) to keep the weeds down and the mud at bay. After nine months, I've barely had to pull a weed out.

The screen gives us (and the neighbours) a bit of extra privacy, plus makes a nicer background than the fence when looking out our lounge windows. The pots add some greenery. The Chinese star jasmine I planted has gone nuts and is starting to create a nice view - plus it smells great.

This side of our house faces south-west, and the yuccas and star jasmine don't seem to mind the less-than-ideal aspect at all.
I hate Camellias and I'm recommending them
Camellias remind me of when I was growing up.
Camellias funnily enough were one of the toughest shrubs going over the drought we have had. I have quite a few mature ones and have never watered/feed them ever. And they still put on a huge show.
There's a chap here in Perth that has an amazing Camellia garden. He too swears they are a tough plant once established.
Our old house had a huge camellia in the front garden, it was tough as old boots and in winter was a mass of pink flowers. The house had been a rental for years prior to us buying it and the garden was somewhat neglected so the camellia had to be hardy to survive.

We planted native hibiscus along one side fence and they grew well. They are on my list for the new garden.
Related
20/12/2023
Water backlog around side of house

General Discussion

Thanks for the photos. You need to know whether the inflow or the overflow pipe is leaking and this is a simple process of elimination. INFLOW: The vertical riser…

5/03/2024
flooding at side of house after rain

General Discussion

The bottom of the downpipe has been taped (see the black tape) to seal the necessary gap between the downpipe and the adaptor that would normally prevent the downpipe…

1/03/2024
Is it possible to put granite on top of tile?

General Discussion

ley me know if anybody know about this

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum