Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Pruning Callistemon

Page 1 of 1
Simple question really...how do i prune these trees. I was told by the local nursery that you cut them after they flower at the flower? Is this correct. It looks like if i do this i wont have a tree left

As a side note, they are still reletivly young at this stage. only about a foot or so high i guess.
Yeah snip them back as recommended. Don't be concerned about the size after. It will recover very well. There is so much going on with a plant under the surface and we don't often pay that much mind
This will mean your new plant will be able to put energy into creating a better root system than putting energy into developing a seed.

From every point you will clip, they will shoot many more new stems from below that point. This will make the plant far bushier and therefore next year, flower even heavier. Continue this throughout it's life and you will have a very desirable Bottle Brush in your yard
I'd even give it a clip twice a year as it becomes more mature
I have had a callistemon snapped at the base it has outgrown all others since
I have put my callistemon in the ground 3 weeks ago , they are a foot tall, they seem to be doing well so far. handling the clay soil, sun and windy conditions very well
with callistemon or any other native plants
how often do I water them while they are young?
how long do I need to keep up regular watering?
how often should I put molases, seasol
when should I prune them for the first time?
Fu Manchu
Yeah snip them back as recommended. Don't be concerned about the size after. It will recover very well. There is so much going on with a plant under the surface and we don't often pay that much mind
This will mean your new plant will be able to put energy into creating a better root system than putting energy into developing a seed.

From every point you will clip, they will shoot many more new stems from below that point. This will make the plant far bushier and therefore next year, flower even heavier. Continue this throughout it's life and you will have a very desirable Bottle Brush in your yard
I'd even give it a clip twice a year as it becomes more mature

Thanks for that Fu, appreciate the response.

To keep it a neat looking tree, can i prune heavily? ie: i have noticed that some look out of control (very bushy) where as i would like it to look more slim and svelt
make sense?
I have a hedge of callistemon

So yes you can have it slim and svelte but you have to keep on top of it
The flowering must be incredible!
Fu Manchu
The flowering must be incredible!

It is Fu just finished a bloom whilst my house was on sale and it was a Pink cultivar so it looked AMAZING!!!!

Just wish I still had the Purple ones not they were AMAZING!

http://www.domain.com.au/Property/For-S ... 2008587053

might be in the above linky
I have about 6 along my side fence. Are as tall as our 2 storey house and about 12 or more years old. Clipped them back about 2 metres and they grew great. Have been told to cut them back to the fence height though (about 5ft). Dont think will take so far back though as it takes too long for them to regrow. I have a garden underneath that they protect also (tree ferns and broms) so will allow too much light in.
forest24I have put my callistemon in the ground 3 weeks ago , they are a foot tall, they seem to be doing well so far. handling the clay soil, sun and windy conditions very well
with callistemon or any other native plants
how often do I water them while they are young? I give one watering a week for a month two waterings if it is hot then the are on their own
how long do I need to keep up regular watering? a month
how often should I put molases, seasol? once a month
when should I prune them for the first time? as soon as possible take up to 2/3s off if you want
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum