Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Seasol/Powerfeed application amount for new turf?

Page 1 of 1
After much effort and $$$ for hire equipment, the new turf is down and I'm happy!

While I haven't followed the guidance on the numerous posts here 100%, I'm hoping I got close enough to the mark to keep the soil and turf healthy for the immediate future until the roots take hold and the lawn grows. I'm now into the "first week" stage after laying and went to apply a combined seasol/powerfeed spray at the suggested application rate of one bottle (2L) per 100 sq metres...the problem being, I was lucky to get 100 sq metres covered with two bottles and even then I think it was just enough to wet the surface of the turf.

My thoughts were that while I don't need to soak the turf in it, I should be applying enough so that I think it penetrates down to the roots/soil below. I'm not too fussed about cost, but I would like to keep it down if I can - do I just continue to buy multiple bottles and use enough to filter down to the soil? Or, are there other products (say some type of pellet) that I can also apply at this early stage?
100sq m is fair patch of lawn. Use the applicator bottle to spread it and then water it in or dilute it more if you want to. You can use heaps more if you want to and it will give better results but does get expensive.
You can use seamungus pellets as a substitute. It is awesome stuff, get it in bulk from a rural supplies store. It's pungent stuff though.
Quoting FU

Yep, zeolite, bentonite clay (Mirco Bros for about $25 dollars a bag.)
Certified organic compost (not lawn mix, not landscape mix, not organic soil) Must be certified organic soil

I am getting into digging straw through as well now but maybe next week I won't be

Seamungus (pellets)
Lay the turf (as I have outlined in the mega thread)
Then apply molasses, seasol and powerfeed every week for one month and then every two weeks for a month or so and then every month

In time to come use blood and bone in winter rains and continue molasses as well

Use the Seamungus Green crumble form through out the year too
Also keep using "saturaid" every couple of months
Sand Remedy is a good choice as well

The lawn will be green in winter without the use of chemical fertilisers and green when others are not

Don't treat for "lawn beetle" and water according to my hand watering guide and also my outlines for irrigation programming.

said Fu here
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=39764&p=594028&hilit=molasses+week+lawn#p594028

Aggre Keen seamungus is pungent. I just brought home 2 very large bags of it from perth in the boot of my car on a hot day yesterday.. plergggggggggg boot was nice and pongy yesterday evening when i removed it.
It is only stinky for 2 or 3 days.

I now have an image of you driving a few hours back form Perth with your head out the window

As for the answer, Keen has nailed it. Do a quick going over with the spray pack and then move on to the hose and wash it in. Remember, it's a new lawn and the roots are not very deep so a massive soak isn't as important as many may think. The leaves will absorb much of it as well through their stomata.
Actually amazingly the boot must have been well sealed as we couldn't smell it in the car. And the backseats drop down for more bootspace so it's not completely separate. Though DS2 had a blocked nose so it could have been smelly in the backseat.
So many jokes, so little time to tell them .......
Ok please don't laugh at me too much....

I have bought my seasol (the 2 pack with the applicator nozzle) but i am confused how to attach it to the hose.

I have seen a pic on the seasol website but don't know which end is where (if that makes sense)
Can someone please explain exactly how i use it with a hose... down to the simple steps like attach end of hose to tap, etc....

Using the pic too would really help me too....

I'm off running to hide before everyone laughs at me too much...
Thanks
Katherine
I'm just glad you have the courage to post a question you perceive as silly. I think it is a great question
Just think how many others haven't posted something and this may very well be one many have wondered before and been to scared to ask

Yeah get the hose clicked onto the tap.
Then unclick the nozzle or other watering device that maybe clicked onto the far end of the hose.

On the seasol container, there is a green thing with a straw on the bottom of it. You need to take off the lid of the seasol container that comes with the twin pack. It just unscrews like any other lid.
Then you take the attachment/funny looking green lid thing, shove the little straw in so the other end has the bit that is cut on an angle. The straw is cut like that to stop it getting stuck on the bottom of the container and sucking the bottom up and blocking. With the end cut on an angle it will never block

So screw the funny lid on. On one end there is a bit that looks similar to the end of the thing the hose clicks onto on the garden tap. It has a rubber o-ring on it. That is where you click your garden hose onto

Now when you turn it on the water shoots out across a little hole and that creates a suction through the straw and draws out the seasol and mixes it with water
I hope that makes sense

So how do we control the water? How do you stop it going with no trigger? Well what you want to do is to hold some extra hose in a loop behind the seasol pack. Keep that in one hand and the seasol container in the other. Kink the hose and walk over to the tap with the hose kinked in one hand. Turn on the tap, walk over to where you are going to spray the seasol and apply it by letting the kink go in your hand. Keep a bit of extra hose in your hand looped to allow yourself the ability to kink the hose again so you can stop the water

Please ask me to clarify anything, and don't think it is silly. I bet you know lots of things I don't know.
Fu Manchu
I'm just glad you have the courage to post a question you perceive as silly. I think it is a great question
Just think how many others haven't posted something and this may very well be one many have wondered before and been to scared to ask

Then unclick the nozzle or other watering device that maybe clicked onto the far end of the hose.

On the seasol container, there is a green thing with a straw on the bottom of it. You need to take off the lid of the seasol container that comes with the twin pack. It just unscrews like any other lid.
Then you take the attachment/funny looking green lid thing, shove the little straw in so the other end has the bit that is cut on an angle. The straw is cut like that to stop it getting stuck on the bottom of the container and sucking the bottom up and blocking. With the end cut on an angle it will never block

So screw the funny lid on. On one end there is a bit that looks similar to the end of the thing the hose clicks onto on the garden tap. It has a rubber o-ring on it. That is where you click your garden hose onto

Now when you turn it on the water shoots out across a little hole and that creates a suction through the straw and draws out the seasol and mixes it with water
I hope that makes sense

So how do we control the water? How do you stop it going with no trigger? Well what you want to do is to hold some extra hose in a loop behind the seasol pack. Keep that in one hand and the seasol container in the other. Kink the hose and walk over to the tap with the hose kinked in one hand. Turn on the tap, walk over to where you are going to spray the seasol and apply it by letting the kink go in your hand. Keep a bit of extra hose in your hand looped to allow yourself the ability to kink the hose again so you can stop the water

Please ask me to clarify anything, and don't think it is silly. I bet you know lots of things I don't know.

I was in Bunnings this morning and they now have a connection that clicks onto the seasol pack with a trigger on it. So now you connect your hose to this trigger and you can stop and start when you want. It was only $5.00
Or you can just kink the hose with no extra connections to fluff about with
Quote:
just kink the hose

Fu, if only I had thought of this. I usually get really wet when I try to take the hose off or I just have an area near the tap that gets a lot of extra love and attention.
Quote:
I was lucky to get 100 sq metres covered with two bottles and even then I think it was just enough to wet the surface of the turf.

As it turns out, it is helpful if you actually read all of the words on the back of the bottle, and not just skim through it.

I turned down the water pressure and was able to spread much more of the seasol/powerfeed around so that two bottles should do the 200 m2 that I need. Also picked up the 10L monster containers of each so I don't need to buy a stack of 2L bottles - note for all, work with the containers outside rather than spill it in the garage!

As the lawn progresses and the seasol/powerfeed applications decrease, should I be looking to use more of it to soak in, or stick to the light application I'm getting at the moment?
btw the big containers are concentrated, you use 500ml + water to fill up the 2l bottle.
Fu Manchu

I hope that makes sense

Thank you!!!

I did it this afternoon and it seemed to work a treat. I did get a drop or two of the stuff on my shoes becaue of the way i was titling the bottle but all in all i'm happy with the result. Just hope the soil and turf are just as happy.

Next stop- Molasses fingers crossed
Related
23/04/2024
What is an allowable amount of movement?

Building A New House

Ok be good to see how all goes

13/05/2024
Builder demanding 15% variation amount as provisional Sum.

Building A New House

Sorry to hear. All the advice you are going to get on this one comes down to what your contract says and what variations are allowed and the mechanism for them. For…

5/03/2024
cancel old building application

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for the response! However, it's have been sorted. But for others benefit here is what we had to do. Unfortunately, it's not straightforward. BCC washed their hands…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum