Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

fast growing hedge required

Page 1 of 1
all
am looking for a fast growing hedge to grow on a perimeter at the front of our new build - quite clay soil underneath top soil. would like to grow up to about 1m high pretty quickly and will then trim regularly. would not get a huge amount of sun. And its about 15-20m at a guess (am rubbish at guessing distances!)

any recommendations out there - would love an english box hedge but have been told they take years to grow!
Hi
We have been recommended Neighbours-Be-GoneĀ®Trees Acmena smithii. http://www.hellohello.com.au/begone.html we want dense foliage
and eventually a box hedge.
HTH
Michelle
You want quick! why not use Pittosporum

http://www.hellohello.com.au/stirling.html
Acmena smithii minor is a better choice for that height/pest resistance if going with a lilly pilly. Other types that are not acmena smithii var. have pest problems.
cheers guys
We planted some Acmena smithii a few years ago for the same reason - was told they are the best thing for a fast growing screener and were told they would grow up to a metre a year. Had them for a few years and they only seemed to grow a couple of centimetres. Prepared the soil according to nursery's instructions so have no idea why they didn't "take" . We also have clay soil. Needless to say, won't be trying them again. Nursery told us Pittosporum don't like clay soil. So now we don't know what to plant. Just want a screen and fast!

ETA: We're in Sydney
I have both pitto's and neighbours be-gone. Pitto's are great in clay as long as you have decent drainage. They snuff it from waterlogging but nothing else seems to kill them in melb, they also grow like weeds and need regular clipping. Good for a big screen but not great in tight spots unless u love clipping. The lily pillys are definately slower but look far nicer IMO and a great for formal to informal hedge. They are tender when young but flower well and have beautiful bright purple berries. I simply built a shade cloth screen behind my hedges until they grow up to block overlooking properties. Anyway my 2 cents.
What about Murraya Paniculata (Orange Jessamine). I've always had these, they grow quickly, up to 3 or so metres in height and 2 metres wide if left. They have a beautiful small glossy leaf, white fragrant flowers especially after rain, rounded shape and take hard clipping and drought very well. What more could you want?! I always see them at local nurseries (NSW) and they're worth a look. Good luck.
The Pitto hedge here is in black clag clay. Its 3 years old, never been watered and its 2.3 meters high now. I prune it 2 times a year, spring / Autumn.
BeatrixKiddo
Acmena smithii minor is a better choice for that height/pest resistance if going with a lilly pilly. Other types that are not acmena smithii var. have pest problems.

Amen to that brother

The chemicals often chosen to treat the bugs on other lily pily varieties are not cool for us or the environment as whole. *Although I do point out are legally allowed to be sold and considered safe by the Australian Government. Funny how many other countries don't see it that way

Anyway Goodbye neighbour is a great choice. 2m in 12 months. I'd slow it to 24 months with some regular clipping but it will be denser than you would imagine
Related
27/07/2023
Weep holes required?

General Discussion

I know foam has been around since the 90's and CSR started manufacturing Hebel in 1989, so it's definitely possible

2/01/2024
Please advice, are roof flashings required at the end of the

General Discussion

Minimum overhang into gutter must be 50mm, turn down tool should not split the sheet. it seems wrong tool for the profile was used, the flashing cannot slope back. Rib…

29/01/2024
Sign off approval required before verandah built

General Discussion

Depends on size, local regulations etc. Ask your Council.

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum