Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Tall & Narrow "Canopy" Tree for backyard?

Page 1 of 2
I've had a little battle with council regarding my landscaping and have got it down to requiring only a single canopy tree in the backyard and one in the front yard. There is no issue of privacy so its more a case of them wanting to maintain trees in the area.

I'll be doing a Jap maple in the front and various ground covers so that is easy.

But in the backyard I need something that doesn't grow too wide and by definition will reach 6m+ at full maturity. The person from council suggested an ornamental pear for the location. It is ~800mm between the fence and some paving so not a huge space.

The rest of the backyard will be entirely eatable, either seasonal vegies or citrus etc so I'd like to keep in that theme if possible. But if not then something that won't be too invasive or a focal point and not make a mess. I already have a huge mess to contend with from a Gum and some Elm's next door...

All my google searches for tall and narrow variations end up with ornamental pear's so they must be popular or conifers which I don't like. Any suggestions?
Why not grow an edible pear rather than ornamental? Both being deciduous, you would still have to deal with leaves in autumn, then again, depending where it's planted it might be nice to have the sun come shining through during winter and the bonus is some nice, juicy pears (poached in red wine, of course!) Yummy

A bi or tri grafted fruit tree would be another option, this way you would have fruit over a longer period.

what width are you looking at for the canopy?
we just planted a Manchurian Pear which is ornamental I guess that's what you were looking at. You could also consider a chinese tallow wood tree. Both are fairly narrow trees. ( birches can be pruned and I'm sure tallow woods can be also be pruned if you feel they are getting too large once they've been in a while.)
WE had 6 "Chanticleer"ornamental pears at our last house-I love them so much that I'm usingthem again. The other option is to look at an apple tree. Try the Diggers Club site for ideas
Does it have to be 6m. A crabapple looks pretty, you get pretty pink blossoms, ornamental fruit, you can make jelly. Its also a nice shape
Forgot to turn on e-mail notification!!!
HappyCamper_au
Why not grow an edible pear rather than ornamental?
This would fit in with the rest of the theme nicely.
HappyCamper_au
A bi or tri grafted fruit tree would be another option, this way you would have fruit over a longer period.
We're already going with separate dwarf variety lemon and lime trees in the courtyard in large pots either side of a 3rd pot with bay leaves. I'd love more fruit trees but I need to make sure they have a mature height of at least 6m to be approved.
Deemaree
what width are you looking at for the canopy?
Small as possible really, there would be only ~800mm of dirt between timber paling fence and the concrete courtyard. Wouldn't want it to be more than 2m in diameter at the top otherwise it will make the area too shady.
kexkez
we just planted a Manchurian Pear which is ornamental I guess that's what you were looking at.
I think this is the one that was suggested by council.
Deemaree
The other option is to look at an apple tree. Try the Diggers Club site for ideas
Ah yes the diggers site is great. All their apple trees are dwarf varieties unfortunately but the williams pear says 6x4m which works. Another one which I'd actually prefer is an Olive tree. Not sure if they get to 6m but it'd be close.
kiwichick
Does it have to be 6m.
Unfortunately yes. The council has been very accommodating with my changes to an existing landscape plan. They require a couple trees to ensure the area does not loose its character which I think is a good thing to be enforced. I won't be letting the tree get to 6m but ~3m will still be high enough to be manageable and provide a visual impact to the surroundings.
Hey Dave,

Have you thought of a Casuarina. It is an Australian native, goes straight up, and has needles instead of leaves (but has never dropped any needles in the 4 years that I have had it). Mine has reached about 5-6m but is not very noticable as the trunk at its thickest is about 10cm. Plus, they are almost impossible to kill and can be planted in shady areas.

The council would also be happy with it being a native tree.
barker
Have you thought of a Casuarina. It is an Australian native, goes straight up, and has needles instead of leaves

Don't like the look of those, thanks anyway
Dave, the other tree to consider is a Quince tree-fruiting preferably. They are incredibly easy care, look amazing in flower and provide shade and fruit.
Deemaree
Dave, the other tree to consider is a Quince tree-fruiting preferably. They are incredibly easy care, look amazing in flower and provide shade and fruit.

Interesting option, fits the specs too. Will add that to the consideration list, thanks.
I had one at the last house and am putting one in this time where I can see it from my computer room window-just love them.
How about the "Native Frangipani" - Hymenosporum flavum ?? They do well in a narrow shady area. Not exactly edible
It's all sorted. The missus likes the "Capital" Ornamental Pear variety which will suit the spot fine.
Also settled on a "Osakazuki" Jap Maple for the front yard.

Thanks for the advice people, I'm sure I'll be needing more of it before and after planting!
Nice Dave-the ornamental pears are great trees.
Deemaree
Nice Dave-the ornamental pears are great trees.

I've read that they "stink" when flowering, have you found this?

Mine will be in a courtyard so I don't want to be 1-2m away from something "smelly"??
We didn't have any problems at all with "stink"! Never noticed a scent at all from them...ours were the Chanticleer variety.
what about a blueberry ash...they are an australian native about 7 metres and they have a narrow canopy...I think they look great
The blueberry ash has a wider canopy than the ornamental pears- I've planted one at the front of our acre block.
camelia
what about a blueberry ash...they are an australian native about 7 metres and they have a narrow canopy...I think they look great

I don't like the aussie natives to be honest.

I'm heading down to the nursery today to order everything for next week so its a done deal now. Another item on the to-do list ticked off!
Related
15/12/2023
Fill & Slab vs. Tall stumps

Building A New House

If you're in a flood zone, not only are you dealing with the importation of fill and laying it down in 150 lifts to achieve compaction, you're going to have to consider…

23/11/2023
Maximum Garage Width - Narrow Lot (Willoughby Council NSW)

Building A New House

Thanks again for this information. If you do hear anything different, would be great to know >

8/12/2023
Narrow block design with 2 car space

General Discussion

dimensions on your original plan are inconsistent and with accurate dimensions (including site plan, upstairs and down) i could make a proper scale drawing with furniture…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum