Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Are palm tree's worth anything?

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
We've just bought this house with 3 palms in the backyard:

There is also a couple of smaller ones in the front yard.

Neither of us are fans of them and will be wanting to get rid of them, does any one know if they would be worth selling? Or at least charging the price of removal for?

Thanks,

Nathan
There is a website for selling plants.....cant remember the site. Where are you located? Im sure there will be people interested in taking them off your hands at their expense. Sorry I cant be more help
Unfortuneately, the only way to get rid of them is to pay someone to do it, or do it your self. No council permission is required as they are classified as weeds in many areas.

So this previous thread:

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.p ... ight=palms
Thanks for the replys.

We're in Gympie an hours drive north of the Sunshine Coast.

Might do a bit more research, but will probably just revert to the original plan of taking to them with an axe!
Hey Nathan, not sure if you have a paper such as the Trading Post up there. We see ads there for people to buy palm trees. It usually states, buyer to remove. If you just wanted to get rid of them, you could say free to good home but buyer to remove? Hope it helps.
Nathan
Thanks for the replys.

We're in Gympie an hours drive north of the Sunshine Coast.

Might do a bit more research, but will probably just revert to the original plan of taking to them with an axe!

Ohhh the axe thing sounds like fun
Just remember to get them to fall away from the house.
Yeah as Bud977 said, the Cocos or Queen palm - a native of Brazil - is considered a noxious weed in Australia. They are easy to take down with a chainsaw, just poison them first and leave them about 4 - 6 weeks to dry out as they are full of water.
Try http://www.tradeaplant.com.au/

I got rid of a large palm tree by advertising on this website. I gave the palm for free since I was in a hurry. The person who took it pay for the removal (excavator, crane, truck, etc). It would have cost me over $1500 just to removed it.

You still have to pay $25 to register it on the website but for me it was worthy.

Check your council if you need tree removal approval. Each council is different.

Cheers,

DY[/list]
No kidding, those bloody cocos palms have been impossible to give away! Now here in Perth all of a sudden we are getting requests every week and no wholsalers are growing the much anymore.

They have given palms a bad name, but they are cheap to buy, easy to grow and they make a new garden "look" tropical and lush.
and yeah it's a weed
They're annoying damn things. Give no shade and every few months drop dirty great husks - watch out below. Completely useless plants and best eliminated.
you could always 'sell' it on ebay...list it as 0.01 cents...this is probably the biggest market. Also, the trading post usually have listings free for under $100, give that a go too!
Related
22/10/2023
Weird older Shower Unit, Does Any one know anything about it

Bathrooms and Laundry

I had an old shower unit that broke on me and when I took it off, there were only 2 water pipes, instead of the normal 2 water pipes and a shower head pipe. S o I…

28/11/2023
Wisdom Homes - Construction Delays is it worth the hassle?

Building A New House

In fairness nobody gave a crap about the ACCC and the gag clauses continued in the pro forma templates of a few other builders after the ACCC took on Wisdom, and more…

16/11/2023
Steel sheds. Worth going one with steel frame?

General Discussion

Hi I am wanting some opinions about the build of a steel shed I am going to get one about 4.5 x 2.5 m steel shed and the height will be about 2.3-2.4m high The one I am…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum