Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Yukka's or Ornamental Trees?

Page 1 of 1
My great gardening dilemma is fast approaching.

Our courtyard is 10.5m x 4.5m. The house's back wall is 8 metres in length fully glazed (with bifolds and one fixed window either side). The plan was to include putting a planter box along the fence (similar to this shape [ except rotated 90 deg) with two ornamental trees framing the bifold area, and being central to the fixed windows.

Except of course I see in this month's Home Beautiful, a house that is similar to ours, with a fantastic courtyard containing Yukka's.

So what's the consensus? Trendy yukkas or ornamental trees. We are selling soon so the wow factor is what we are after. Intially we wanted shade from the trees but it doens't matter now because we won't be living there.
Can you post a photo please?
cheers,
VP
I recon an ornamental if you can get an advanced one.
If not the Yuccas are readily available in good sizes. They are very trendy and I guess you have to plant what others want and not so much what you want if you plan on selling the house.
Hey Fu, g'day mate, fancy seeing you around these parts!
What The!
G'Day nut
! Long time no see!!!! Been hanging out with Jase and Sarah a bit more, sorry

New houses all round by the look mate
Now my money is spent else where than where it was for a while.
the ute

I was going to mention that some of the most popular small ornamental trees we are selling over the last year or two has been the flowering plums (Prunus Nigra) , Weeping Mullberries, the Manchurian Pears (Pyrus Ussuriensis) The Chinese Tallow (Sapium Sebiferum), Red Cottonwood Hibiscus (Hibscus Tilleaceous Rubra) and the medal would have to go to the Plumeria (Frangipani)!

If you could find an established Frangipani and wait till summer to sell, I would say house sold
Check the trading post or the Flemmings web site.
They are the king of fasionable plants right now. look in any home deco shop or the back window of a chicks car etc and there's a Frangipani. Australia is obsessed with them!

Here in Perth if someone has a Red Frangipani they often put signs out saying "no I won't give you any cuttings" or to that effect. The Darwin Blood has to be the single most saught after of all of them

Maybe a Frangipani and some smaller spineless Yuccas around it. Ones such as Bright edge, and use some Agave' as well.

How's that for some ideas
Related
24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum