Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Avonview Lavender

Page 1 of 1
We recently bought about 10 pots of Avonview Lavenders and planted them along side of the driveway. However, after 2 weeks, the plants seems to have turned brown. We then put mulch to try and trap more moisture. Still, this doesn't seems to help. Can anyone tell me what else can I do to keep them alive or green to that aspect??
Lavenders will commonly do this under three conditions.
1. Shade or a fair proportion of it.
2. wet feet
3a. Being planted too deep.
3b. Having mulch around the stems.

Get them in as much sun as you can. This can expose them to very low temps at night and that can cause some yellowing in them regardless.

Your soil maybe holding a heap of water with regular winter rains about. In these cases the roots become starved of oxygen and fungal diseases can take hold. In either case the roots die and the foliage is starved of nutrients.

When you plant something, take a look at the soil in the pot and where it is on the stem. When it goes into the ground, it has to be at that level still. Otherwise the soil gathers around the stem, collar rot sets in and that stops nutrients from reaching the plant. 90% of dead plants have died from this. they look great for a week or two, then just drop dead.

When you mulch, keep the mulch or pebbles pulled away from the stems to once again, prevent collar rot taking hold. (Not so important on bigger trees.)

other thoughts on the causes on this maybe using those bloody water crystals when planting. Might be holding too much moisture around the roots. (these are quite good in when using pots, however I don't don't use them.)

Using fresh manures when planting, burns the roots and stops nutrients and water reaching the leaves.

Putting fertiliser in the hole when planting. again, burns the fine feeder roots stopping moisture and nutrients from getting to the foliage.

Using cheaper products marked "soil conditioner" or "soil improver". Always use a certified organic soil, you won't go wrong
i don't suggest using potting mix either when planting in the soil. Leave potting mixes for pots and organic soil improvers and conditioners for soil
Hello Fu,

Thank you for your advice.

We did not put any fertilizers at all. All we did was just mulch it a little. Being winter in cold, cold Melbourne, there is a fair bit of rain now. Will take care not to water it too much. The plants are also always out in the Sun.

There were also weeds growing around the lavenders
I pulled them soon as I see them. When I did that, I did move the mulch abit so as not to wrap around the stem. I think i have to declare that one of the plant has now died, or seems to be so cause there is no bits of green in it anymore.

I read that you can also put lime to it?
YAh, well in the Melbournes

You are going to need a limey or alkaline soil. (Perth soils are good for something
)
That may very well be an answer for you problems. The garden area before planting (The whole area they are planted) would be best off having Lime and clay breaker dug through the structure of the soil. For now you will need to add lime around them. Easy to get from your local garden centre, however it may have limited results in this case. Give it a go. If it's no good, maybe select a plant that suits your soil type
Even better option would be to buy some Salvia, Victoria blue in seedling punnets. very similar look with even deeper blue flowers that look similar. They will last ten years as well, which is better than what you'll get from the lavenders

I might add as well that if you can't get victoria blue salvia, wait til summer and they will be readily available. we pay about $2.50 for a punnet of 8 plants here in WA. I think yours over there may be more expensive?
Related
You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum