Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Building a Bottle wall

Page 1 of 1
I would love to build a bottle wall about 1 1/2 metres high, 3 metres long. I've never built a wall, but consider myself quite 'handy'. I was planning to put down several rows of besser blocks before beginning to build with the bottles and then grout/render around them. I presume I need to put down footings? Can someone describe to me how I go about this? Would there need to be reinforcing rods running down through the blocks? And how deep down into the ground do I need to dig? Any tips very welcome!
Did you see this week's Grand Designs on ABC2? They built one around the shower.
Bottle
Can someone describe to me how I go about this?

Start drinking.....hic.........
Can't help either but it will be very cool to see
Brickie
Bottle
Can someone describe to me how I go about this?

Start drinking.....hic.........

I've been doing that - have been saving bottles for over a year!
themax
Did you see this week's Grand Designs on ABC2? They built one around the shower.

Yes, I did. I've been designing the wall for quite a while now but it's the structure I don't know about.
Bottle, I dont know which state you are in but have you ever been to Andamooka - opal mining town in remote outback SA - and there is a bottle house built entirely from beer bottles - about the size of a small tool shed but looks like a giant bee hive.
You can go inside it, I have done so, wish I had a pic from inside where you are surrounded side and top with orange glow of sun shining thru all these bottles.

Just a bit of useless trivia for you
Here is a bottle wall from the garden show this year, they used a metal frame which lets a lot more light through

Wow those are amazing! At first I thought a "bottle wall" was a technical term for something. I didn't realise it was actually a wall made out of bottles
(I'm having a blonde moment
)

That would be a real talking point at your future BBQ's
lisanne
Here is a bottle wall from the garden show this year, they used a metal frame which lets a lot more light through

Goodness - that's interesting! Not along the lines of what I'm interested in. But,Thanks!
Helyn
Bottle, I dont know which state you are in but have you ever been to Andamooka - opal mining town in remote outback SA - and there is a bottle house built entirely from beer bottles - about the size of a small tool shed but looks like a giant bee hive.
You can go inside it, I have done so, wish I had a pic from inside where you are surrounded side and top with orange glow of sun shining thru all these bottles.

No I haven't - it would be beautiful!

Just a bit of useless trivia for you ::wornout:: ::surprise:: ::smile::
Try this website page:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4929586_make-bottle-wall.html

Good Luck
Spoke about this this evening. A few suggested searching Youtube for a how to

There was one on around the world in 80 gardens with Monty Don and they can be viewed on ABC website with i-view, so can the grand designs show
Related
7/03/2024
Retaining wall to garage wall

Building A New House

Thank you again Simeon.. I will call my certifier for that. Have a good day

3/12/2023
Building on boundary retaining wall

Building A New House

Hello, We are about to build and the plans show a part of the exterior wall is being built on top of a limestone retaining wall. Does this mean the retaining wall will…

17/05/2024
Building on a lot with fill, have retaining wall over 6ft hi

General Discussion

Johal No need to stress. Your builder is correct. With good structural engineering your home will be fine. We use piers on 100% of our builds even if they are founded…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum