Join Login
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design

Wanted - Meterosideros Fiji Fire

Page 1 of 1
...or someting similar. After all my research I have settled on this plant. So when I eventually decide to go and buy it no one has it in stock. No one in town, no one online, oh except for 1 place who want $200 to deliver 4 plants!! OR they have it and only deliver to Brisbane area only etc

So is there a simlar plant we could use, only 2-3 meters, to be used as a screening plant, we dont really want to be hedging it every 2 weeks, noninvasive roots. Native or not it doesnt matter. Full sun. Hmm.. thats it I think. Oh if you know of any online stores I am ok to spend on delivery just not so much.

Thanks in advance

sandra
I wouldn't say that metros will have non invassive roots.
Fiji fire is a nice one though

If you lived in WA you'd be able to get so many you wouldn't know what to do with them

What about growing Acalyphas? They are everywhere up your way
Good vibrant colour with their marbled reds and you can get ones with marbled yellow. I took this in Mareeba

There is also Duranta sheenas gold and diosmas (coleonemas) and there is a croton in there too. This could easily be clipped to form a straight hedge

I guess you'd be sick of the sight of Murrayas

Vibernum Tinus might be a go for you
That should be easy to find.

Hibiscus "Fijian Pink" will hedge well
Very well

If you can't find a retail nursery with it get onto these guys
http://www.hibiscus.org.au/

Don't anyone dare say lily pillys
Fu those Acalyphas are awesome, and the Croton looks amazing; pity they don't quite translate that well to Perth...
Well the Acalyphas do

One of the finest examples I ever saw was right on the beach in old Quinns. A mate used to live out there and it had been there for as long as i could remember. It was a Yellow Acalypha Wilks.
Even as my friends rode down the near by hill in shopping trolleys, I couldn't help but admire its beauty
Oh my dad has plenty in stock, but we are in Sydney, i think its the same variety. I love them as they attact the birds to the nectar.
thankyou so much

Just reading the fruit tree topic I was wondering if there would be any fruit trees that would do the same thing. Idid look into mullberry's but they get too huge, so I tried to find info on native Mulberries but I couldn't find much growing info on them.

sandra
sandra77
thankyou so much

Just reading the fruit tree topic I was wondering if there would be any fruit trees that would do the same thing. Idid look into mullberry's but they get too huge, so I tried to find info on native Mulberries but I couldn't find much growing info on them.

sandra

Mulberry trees get MASSIVE! And they get very ugly in winter as they lose all their leaves (or at least the ones in my neighbourhood do so correct me if I am wrong!). And I'm not sure but possums seem to love them.
greenstock nursery will have them
Grow a weeping mulberry. They don't get to big and out of hand at all. The fruit is still yummy
Fu Manchu
Grow a weeping mulberry. They don't get to big and out of hand at all. The fruit is still yummy

Ohhh they look cute!!!

Are they deciduous (right term?) like the Mulberry tree?
Well being a Mulberry also, yes they are deciduous
Fu Manchu
Well being a Mulberry also, yes they are deciduous

*shivers*... I am cold enough during winter I don't want to look at a naked shrivelled tree too!
Related
2/08/2023
Fire seperation qall

General Discussion

Need some advice. Living in a townhouse with one common wall, recently we have discovered that the fire separation wall is incomplete and on further investigation, support…

13/08/2023
HOUSE FIRE

General Discussion

Not back peddling at all. You seem to have issues with comprehension my friend. Guy fcked up, he's considering being dishonest with his bank and hiding it. It will end…

10/05/2024
BAL 29 fire zone construction

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone Planning a large house extension in New South Wales northern rivers with a BAL 29 Fire zoning. Has anyone had experience with this type of zoning and how much…

You are here
Building ForumLandscape & Garden Design
Home
Pros
Forum